How to live with IBS ?

Your gastroenterologist and a nutritionist are the best people to consult on this subject.

I know some people who have found probiotics helpful, but this is something to discus with professionals. Every patient is different, and we are not doctors. We don't know your case.

I have IBC- D, and I drink Kefir milk every couple of months, and it keeps it at bay.

• L

Go to a G.I. Doctor and discuss your options.  

The treatment for IBS differs from person to person. People who can identify particular foods or types of stress that bring on the problem should avoid them if possible. For most folks, especially those who tend to be constipated, regular physical activity helps keep the gastrointestinal tract functioning normally.

In general, a normal diet is best. People with abdominal distention and increased gas (flatulence) should avoid beans, cabbage, and other foods that are hard to digest. Sorbitol, an artificial sweetener used in dietetic foods and in some drugs and chewing gums , shouldn't be consumed in large amounts. Small amounts of fruits or berries should be eaten...A low fat diet helps some cases,, if have lactase deficiency  as well ,,,avoid dairy products.

In many cases folks with IBS have improved there condition by eating more fiber especially if the main issue is constipation. They may take tablespoons of raw bran with plenty of water and other fluids with each meal, or they may take psyllium mucilloid  supplements with two glasses of water. In creasing the dietary fiber may aggravate some symptoms such as flatulence and bloating.

Drugs that slow the function of the gastrointestinal tract and are considered to be antispasmodics haven't been proven to be effective enough,,,although they are frequently prescribed....................................

Antidepressant drugs, mild tranquilizers, psychotherapy, hypnosis and behavior modification techniques may help some folks with this condition?????????????????????

Source(s): nurse

Specialized diets, trying to live stress free, learn shelter tricks like changes of clothing, adult diapers, knowing what is safe and what is not safe to eat. I have lived with mine for 56 years,

Wear astronaut diapers. 

• Andy C

It's pretty awful...yet 1 in 3 now have it.

I know what ERASED my 20yo IBS:  eating only whole foods and drinking only water, unsweetened teas and unflavored milk. 

It cured my excessive body fat,  too.

It's the HUMAN diet and IBS is simply the result of straying from such a diet.

Sugars and white flour products are the cause of the vast majority of IBS.