Does anyone have any tips for how to get over the fear of drowning? ?

I took swimming lessons as a kid but I never learned how to tread water. So one day in 8th grade, I went to a water park and as I was crossing an obstacle course, I fell in and had to be rescued by a lifeguard. Since then, I've mostly avoided being anywhere near water including private pools. I just want to feel confident in the water but I'm too tense for fear of what could go wrong. 

It's entirely possible to learn to swim in water that's only up to your lower ribs. (It's a little difficult in water to your waist, because when you tread water your feet will hit the bottom.) Would you feel safe in a pool where all you had to do was stand up for your head and upper body to be entirely out of the water?

Then there are swimming classes for you. (I have no idea what COVID has done to these, of course.) Your city's Parks & Recreation Department, the YMCA, a neighborhood association, etc. may offer classes for adult non-swimmers and some even have them for fearful adult non-swimmers. Many of them rope off the pool at 3.5 to 4 feet deep.

im the same way, i almost drowned at the beach when i was a kid, got pulled over by a tidalwave, never got into swimming cause of it

maybe start in a small pool like a one for babies dont worry no bodie will make fun of you.