Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Why aren’t both NFC games on the same day, with both AFC games on the other day?

The winner of the Rams/Packers game will have been done with their game for more than 24 hours before the Bucs/Saints game ends...

Update:

@skeptik

Let’s see, both NFC game winners have Monday-Saturday off before next Sunday’s conference championship.

The extra 24 hours the Rams/Packers winner will have is approximately an extra 16.6% of rest, especially if the Packers win and get to sit at home without any travel time.

Update 2:

@D.E.B.S.

The conference championships are always on the same day, so it’s only a matter of hours of extra rest for the winner of the first game, and the Super Bowl is two weeks out from that Sunday.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

So people can have variety 

I kinda like it .... I think NFC IS BORING .. even with Brady 

• 2 months ago

It's for television. different networks carry the AFC and NFC games.

• 2 months ago

Because thats not how the NFL chooses to do things

• Nick
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You think it is an unfair rest advantage? I think the thinking is as long as they get a week it is diminishing returns. Still, Your proposal does make sense to me. It would also make sense to let both the bye teams play Saturday.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because that has always been the way the Networks wanted it. There used to be only 2 Networks showing games. One showed NFC games and the other AFC games. If they have both AFC games the same day, then one TV Network will have 2 games on one day but no game the next day. Networks would rather have 1 game on each day instead. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because they decided that one of each on the same day would be better.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The short answer is TV contracts. 

Both networks are going to want a Sunday game every year. 

• 2 months ago

Sunday-Sunday is a normal football week, no one gets less rest than that.

You would have had a better whine last week, when Baltimore had to play on Sunday then play on a short week against Buffalo.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The winners are already predetermined.

• 2 months ago

Because that's not the way they're ever scheduled.

And what difference do you imagine that 24 hours would make?

---

Re: your update - 

Both conference championship games are scheduled for the same day.

However they schedule the games this weekend, someone could potentially have an extra day between rounds.  No matter which conference they're in.

The only way to prevent it would be to have all the games scheduled for the same day every weekend.  And that never happens.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.