Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

So it pans out, that 'apparently' there are  400 billion stars and trillions of planets in our Galaxy that we haven't explored yet ?

who counted them all ? Cinderella ?

: ))

Update:

here is a thought: what if those estimates are no way NEAR close ?

what if the number is beyond human comprehension lol ?

Update 2:

LOL @ " It is obvious that you haven't had a statistics course. "

Update 3:

@ Andy

sorry but while i respect the attempts at math calculations in a laboratory... I refuse to accept they're reliable.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Joseph
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Remember the NASA's Kepler mission a few years back?  The mission was designed to detect the fluctuations of star light caused by a planet passing in front of a star.  While it did found a bunch of extrasolar planets, that wasn't actually the main goal of the mission.

After scanning a representative sample of the sky, the astronomers were then able to estimate the number of stars that have planetary systems in the galaxy.  Like with any estimate, a number of assumptions went into the estimate and the accuracy of the estimate depends on how accurate those assumptions are.  For example, we can extrapolate the number of stars in the galaxy based on the part of the sky we can see.  Is it 400 billion or 405 billion?  Well, when you talking numbers this large, a few billion either way is a round off error.

There are other limitations as well.  The main Kepler mission lasted only a few years.  It takes three planet orbits to detect and confirm its presence.  If the planet's orbital period is measured in Earth's decades or even centuries, the Kepler wouldn't have detected it.  So, the "trillions of planets" number assumes that each planetary system has perhaps 8 to 15 planets, and maybe a couple of hundred satellites.  

• 1 month ago

we need 2 kinds of instruments. for travel I mean FTL travel,and  observation  so as to collect data,atmospheric,elements present,water,,eam temperature,we need in a word to eyeball possible planets in ;the sweetspot' we have been searching with modern instruments for about 50 years,we got a lot of ground yet to cover

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There exists much more through out the entire universe zj

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

yes we only been to the moon and photographed 6 off them .by the way it must have been one biggg bang to produce them .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If I wanted to know the number of words in your question, I could actually count the total number of words, or I could count the words in one line of your question and multiply by the number of lines.  But this is a very abstract concept, so don't strain your brain in trying to understand it.

• 1 month ago

the number is an estimate, what if these estimates are higher.  Science is never conclusive all is theory and theories need to be yet proven.   Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it doesn't exist now does it.  

• 1 month ago

When you see the word Apparently in this context 

It means an Estimation

If you asked me how many Days there would be in Ten Weeks

I would Estimate 70

• 1 month ago

That is pretty much a wild guestimate astronomers agree on. there could be billions more or billions less, as we cannot see our entire galaxy

• ANDY
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

It is obvious that you haven't had a statistics course. Those numbers you mentioned came up through studies and calculations. If you want to know better, you can google your question. We are not the only spiral galaxy in our local group. Andromeda helped astronomers know about our Galaxy. Had there been only one galaxy in the universe, as it was thought to have been before Edwin Hubble discovered Andromeda and the other small galaxies that were thought to be patches of nebulae in our galaxy, then your question would be eligible to be asked.

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A computer ususally do a tedeous job no man is interested or capabel of.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.