Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Why do patients take IV fluids in the hospital?

• L

To keep them from dehydrating - plus, it's easier to give them medicines through the IV tubes; no need to give them separate shots.

Two major reasons.

First, you might either be dehydrated or are expected to be dehydrated following a procedure.

Second, the IV saline is a good medium for injecting other drugs through the IV line without having to stick you again for each medicine.

they did it to me before a procedure, i was sooo dehydrated and I'm a hard stick, so they wanted me to be hydrated so my veins would show more 

• Joe

Same reason they take them at the scene of a car accident while they are still trapped in the wreckage.   They can and do use Gatorade through the needle in the arm when they run out of solution.  Example would be 18 shock/bleeders in a bus accident.

I would not feel fine if I take an IV by myself.

IV fluids are intended to either replace or supplement the blood volume of the patient.

Certain drugs and diseases reduce the fluids in the body and they need to be replaced.  An IV is more measurable and manageable than having the patient drink something.

There are several possible reasons why a patient might be given fluids by IV.  I assume patients take those fluids because they accept the order of the health care professionals.

There are two dominant reasons for using an IV: the patient needs more fluid for some reason (dehydration or blood loss, perhaps) or there is a medication that works best when kept at a fairly constant and continuous level in the bloodstream, so constant and continuous injection is a very good way to ensure maintenance of the desired condition.

maybe they cant drink stuff cause of surgery or whatever

Alot of times, it is just to hydrate a person, but medication can be dispensed thru an IV.

• Mark

Because they are dehydrated or need to take IV drugs.