Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How Many Miles Per Maintenance?

I drive a 2016 Mercedes Benz CLA250 4MATIC, and I want to know how many miles I should keep an eye on before doing something like an oil change. I heard every 3000 miles is when you should do oil change, 5000 miles for air filter change, etc. Thanks car experts !

I’d go for 12000 miles / yearly for the oil and oil filter, 24000 or 2 years for a air filter unless you live in the desert in which case you might need to change it as often as 3 months.

Jay P , yes that used to be the case but many cars have service intervals determined by the on board computer. The owners manual doesn’t always say.

All of that is in your owner's manual. The 3,000 mile oil change is an old myth and doesn't apply any more. Most modern day cars can go as far as 7,500 miles between oil changes in certain conditions and oil filters much longer.

• garry

change the oil by the oil makers recommendations , every 3,000 and your wasting money , the oil is good for 10,000 miles . makers ask for clean fresh oil , but the oil is still good . read the oil packet and see what they recommend , same as the oil filter . car people go over board with there maintenance recommedations ..

• PANKO

I'm sorry Dude, Driving Conditions, not mileage determines when. If the oil is dark after 200 miles, change it. You do check the fluids, weekly. Right?

• F

Read your owners' manual.  If you don't have one, get one.

• Jay P

If only automotive companies could somehow communicate to the future owners regarding how a vehicle should be operated and recommended service intervals.  That would make owning and operating a vehicle so much easier.

If such a thing is ever invented, I think they should call it "The Book of Manual for Owners".

If you're running regular motor oil every 3,000 miles is what I recommend. Every 5,000 miles if using synthetic oil. What really is important is to check the oil level on the dipstick every 1,000 miles between oil changes. Motors with adjustable cam timing are known for cam actuator failures if the oil gets too low or dirty.

There is this great publication by Daimler and Benz called an owners manual. Often in expensive automobiles it is in the glove box. In it some engineers put a table to tell the operator when to check, change, replace, service what parts of the vehicle.

In lessor pedigree cars it is there for the owner.

Just so you know- Benz does not market cars, they market automobiles. Ford and GM build cars.

Most manufactures have different schedules depending on type of oil used. Non-synthetic oils need replaced more frequently then synthetic oils. That is if non-synthetic oils are even allowed to be used in a Benz.

• ?

Read the Owners manual all your expert car answers are in there! A whole section on JUST Maintenance.