If I put a 60/100W bulb in a 40W desk lamp what will happen.?

I was thinking if I drilled some holes in the top of the metal shade it might work.

I'm in the UK 230V and the lamp is 2 Amps.

A LED bulb of 12 watts will equal the output of a 100 watt incandescent bulb. Much cooler running too.

• ?

The bulb will overheat in the socket and the bull will stop working.

There is A REASON Why there are a variety of bulbs. Use the bulb that is RECOMMENDED for the light fixture.

I hate those led bulbs , it takes 3 or 4 lamps to light up a room instead of the old style which only took one lamp

• zipper

The lamp could over heat and start on FIRER< this is why they have a rating on them in the first place!

• garry

a higher wattage might melt the socket after all higher watts , the more heat and sockets arent heat proof .

Incandescent or CFL or Digital?  Incandescent bulbs are the cheap ones you have seen for 100 years...The bulb is hot after 10 minutes?  Too hot to handle.  These bulbs R being phased out. Not energy efficient.

CFL are the twisty bulbs, the first Energy Efficient bulb.  However it also carries a bit of mercury in it. So, not good if you break it. But a 100W(using the incandescent brightness scale because you have seen a 60Watt or 100 Watt bulb brightness) and the CFL uses 4Watts for a 100Watt incandescent bulb so equal to a little Xmas tree light bulb...which does not get hot.   The CFL bulb cost about $4. each and last about 5 years. Incandescent last 1000hours. Because of the mercury, the CFL are no longer being made or sold.   Digital bulbs is an energy efficient bulb too, and it is suppose to last 5 years and it costs about $4 each.   Again I use the incandescent light brightness comparison and buy 150W intensity to replace 100W bulbs.

. I am in N.A. but am thinking you country has backed off from incandescent and CFL bulbs.

. That is just a guess.  By going to a store you will find out what is available to you.

the metal shade will likely overheat, with untold consequences

That's against the law.  The lightbulb police will track you down and lock you up with people who tear the tags off mattresses and overdue library book crooks.

BEST case, the socket will  fry without starting a fire.

The shade is irrelevant. The SOCKET can't handle the current.

It could burn the lamp out.  If it's not rated for a 60W there's a reason for it.  40W is the maximum it can SAFELY use.

For instance, if you use a 60W and the lamp catches fire, melts and burns down your house your insurance can refuse to pay your claim.  You made an unsafe condition.