Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 2 weeks ago

Do people really get raped in Prison or is that a myth? ?

• 18 hours ago

I believe it happens sometimes and that prisons shouldn’t let it happen just because someone belongs in there. Barbarism is terrible. 

7 days ago

Of course they do.  I guess the only inmates this doesn't happen to are the ones who can physically defend themselves.  They more often target the young and weak.

• 1 week ago

No, that's not a myth.  I don't know if it's as common as what you see in the movies, but it's a real thing.  

• Toruko

Yes.  I was issued a 'rape kit' for the

all male maximum slam.  Not at state

hospital for the criminal insane of all 

gender and the county jails I qualified

for.  People are still doing extra years

because of my observations tendered

under oath to judicial procedures.

• Lili

Of course it's not a myth.  Prison rapes certainly happen.  They are a way of exercising power and dominance within a prison hierarchy, for one thing, and let's face it: when you put a large group of healthy young men or women into a communal, institutional setting with NO access to the opposite sex, what do you THINK is going to happen? 

Anyone who thinks it's rare in the UK has his head in the sand. A great many UK prison inmates have been subjected to some form of sexual abuse.  One problem is that HM's prison system prefers not to keep records on the subject.

Yes, people really get raped in prison, it is not a myth.

I hear its a power thing more than a pleasure thing.

In some countries it's rife, others it is rare.