What are the best and easiest ways to become very learned and well rounded when it comes to the political and sociological world around me?

I feel like a lack alot if knowledge when it comes to the sociological and political aspects of life. I want to learn more and also build my vocabulary. What is something I can read or watch (not the news) that will teach me new things?

Keep an open mind and explore others' beliefs but try to avoid being TOLD what to think or believe.  Allow others' opinions in the hope they'll allow yours too.

In the end, commonsense and logic should prevail and you'll become more knowledgeable and well-rounded as a result.

Figuring things out for yourself and ignoring any media z

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• Bobo

The best and easiest way to educate yourself on society is to observe and contemplate what you observe on your own.  Observe life at your individual level, on a community level, and at broader levels to get a feel for the political landscape.  There are 2 ways of interpreting the world around you--liberal and conservative.  Liberals think with "emotion" and conservatives think with "objectivity".  Subjective vs objective is the dichotomy that exists.  To get an understanding of the objective side look into the works of Ayn Rand.  To get an understanding of the subjective side look into the works of Earnest Hemmingway (or any other celebrated author).  The celebrated authors have 1 thing in common and that is a negative portrayal of society.  You may not yet know which side you prefer, but you can make that choice for yourself without outside influence if you simply give some thought to the issues.

The best thing you can do to understand society and political economy is read "Human Action" by Mises.

Turn off your TV altogether.  The so-called news is spun toward a particular political persuasion (usually left, unless you are watching Fox News, in which case it is right).

Listen to people on the left and the right.  Hear THEIR reasons for their positions, not what the media portrays them as.  I have found that people on the left are looking for government to be their surrogate mother and people on the right feel like we live in a war zone with a government that does not act in your best interest and robs you blind with taxes.

Most Democrats DON'T agree with the destruction of free speech and freedom of assembly we are seeing and most Republicans AREN'T racist and sexist.

• rick

Best and easy are usually not compatible. Get an education. Socialize with quality people. NOT the popular ones. Experience learning experiences instead entertaining ones. TRY new things. Not popular fads, but things that require effort, skill and practice. Actually DO things. Preferably things that require some creativity and/or original thought. Not "air guitar and faddish dances". Learning about classic art and music will include insights into the people, the world history and society, that can't be found elsewhere.