Why do older people seem stuck in previous generations?

There's a guy I work with, he always talks like he's still living in the 1970's. Even the places he talks about are not even what they once were. 

I sometimes roll my eyes because he's so stuck in the time period of his younger years when he was in his 20's and 30's.

One day he brought up this place and I told him "No one goes there anymore."

He just lives in a different generation.

• T'rone

I notice that too.  People are stuck in their ways.  It has happened for a long time which means you too, will look back at this time period.  I'm 56 but, if I could, I would go back to the 80/90's when I was young.

• Ludwig

The music and the drugs were better.

I don't know. It's boring as sh!t and I'm 60. 

As one ages, the sense of time changes.  I am 61 now, and weeks go by much like days used to.  I put on a shirt the other day, and then realized that it was 40 years old.  I still wear it, and don't even think of it.  It reminds me of when I was living in the place I got it - but that was 40 years ago!  To me, it does not seem like all that long ago, and the shirt still fits, and looks good so I wear it.

Memories are sort of "closer" now than they were.  Remembering something a few years passed is easier now than it was when I was 20, even though I was closer to the events then.  I can't say I live in the past, but, much of the past is almost as close to me as the present, and I don't really make a huge distinction between them.  And, the older I get, the more this phenomena occurs.

• Burgoo

It's nice that you have seen a vision of your own future

• Ivan

Yup, William is right. The only thing that seperates you from that guy is time. Your turn is coming.

LOL!  Your youth makes you ignorant.

I guarantee that when YOU grow old you'll be making the same type of comments and some young guy will be saying the same thing about you.

We all like to relive our younger years.