vic asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

How come the hospital wont accept my money?

I wanted to pay my bill but they said that  they can’t accept payment because it was sent to a collection agency i was gonna pay in full but now they get nothing , tough for them 

if i pay the collection agency and they turn around and give the money to the hospital why dont the hospital just take the money from me directly, and how come i never got a billl to begin with? the firsy i head of it was the collection agency

• Kelly

When an account goes into collection the company (in this case the hospital) writes it off as a bad debt for tax purposes and then sells the account to collection agencies..  after that they no longer own the debt.  You no longer owe the hospital, you owe the collection agency who has purchased your account.

You need to work with the collection agency who has the account now.  Offer a settlement on it, not the full amount...  low ball them too... say you owed $300, offer them $100 with the goal to actually setting for half of what you owe.

If you do nothing, the collection agency is likely to sue you.

I worked in hospitals for 12 years so in the future for hospitals..   most have a financial aid department where you can apply for help with the bill... even if you have insurance.  The hospital will work with you and will look for donors/charities to help pay the bill...  that's a win, win for everyone.

They aren't going to get "nothing". You will be hounded by the collection agency, your credit will be ruined, and you'll end up with a court judgement against you for not paying the bill. PAY the collection agency. It's not going to be 'tough for them'--it will be tough for YOU. 

They told you why.  You have to pay the collection agency, because the account is in THEIR hands now.  And if you delay, you will end up owing a whole lot more.

My experience and I worked in collection 30 years ago is most let you pay the hospital. UNLESS the debt was sold.  But, that could have changed. The collection agency gets their cut even if you pay the hospital...if you could.

It could show on your credit report which would be tough for you.

Because you took too long.  You don't owe them anymore.  You owe the collection agency now.

you need to talk to them about it

You don't owe the hospital any more, you now owe the collection agency. The hospital can't accept the money because you no longer have a debt to them.

The hospital already got their money when they sold the debt the collections agency.

It's the collections agency that is out of their money--

Not paying might work out for you or not. 

• G

It's always easier to pay bills on time.

I feel you man. I got so much medical debt it isn't funny.