Polly asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

Can I dispute accounts off my credit report due to missing hyphen in name?

If part of my name has an hyphen in it as it shows on my social security card, can I get accounts removed off my credit due to my name not showing that way with the creditors? I am aware that I can dispute if my name was spelled incorrectly but isn’t it spelled incorrectly if the hyphen is missing? 

15 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The answer is no.  A misspelling of your name does not change the fact the debt is legally owed by you.  

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

well if you are trying to get out of paying them what you owe , then yes but it could also be treated as theft ..banks dont play games you know .

• 2 months ago

Not if you were the person using the accounts. 

• 2 months ago

No, a missing hyphen won't help you.  Really neither will incorrect spelling.  At least not permanently.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Kelly
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can dispute it but that won't absolve you of owing the debt and they're likely to put it back on.  

• 2 months ago

You can dispute accounts that have materially false information, such as accounts that were fraudulently opened in your name or other debts you don't actually owe.

A typo in your name doesn't absolve you of the legal responsibility to pay debts that are rightfully yours, nor will it result in an otherwise valid debt being removed from your credit report.

• 2 months ago

No--your name isn't a reason to ask for removal. They go by your SS number anyway, not your name. The omission of a hyphen is not reason to dispute anything. 

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

no.  It's obviously YOUR debt.

• 2 months ago

No, you can't get them removed because of a typo, any typo.  You would have to not owe the debt and prove it to them.

• 2 months ago

Spelling errors do not automatically erase debt. You need proof that the debt is not yours.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.