Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

Should I buy a new laptop?

I currently have an HP laptop that I bought in the summer of 2016 (so it's quite old), it has got an i3-6100u processor, 4 GB of RAM and integrated graphics and, I hate this piece of garbage, it's so slow that even opening a web page on firefox or using zoom for online lessons (I'm a college student ) is a pain, gaming is completely out of the question, it can't even run Minecraft smoothly. So the question is, should I buy a new laptop or is there a way to improve this piece of garbage that I've had for almost 5 years?

The one thing you can do is, add more RAM, update your OS to the latest, do a disk cleanup and defrag, uninstall unnecessary programs and turn off background apps in settings.

I have a Dell Latitude E5430, which is a 2013 year one, and it works fine. Above options are ones you could try to optimise your laptop speed...

If your laptop old and slow then buy a new one and secure it with antivirus 

I will give you $50 for it 

Ummm...it's a laptop.  Generally speaking, you like it just as it is...

Or you replace it with a new one.

laptops are generally not upgradeable, except for the amount of RAM.  and that won't fix the issues you report

• David

If it has a mechanical hard drive, then replacing it with an SSD will improve performance considerably. Whether it is enough to play minecraft or use zoom I can't say.

If you decide to get a better laptop aim for a core i5, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD as a minimum and a dedicated graphics chip if you can afford it

its fairly simple to look up the following details which are important when purchasing a new computer. For modern day use especially browsing the CPU needs to be 4 Core minimum and the Fitted Ram needs  to be 8GB minimum, note: you are probably losing 1.7GB of your system RAM to the Intel HD graphics integrated GPU. You should confirm the CPU speed benchmark for single thread and for overall multi core operation. By looking up the CPU on the Intel ARK you find out specs for it. Check the specs of an intel CPU using the Intel ARK your 6100u can be found here https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/produc... and from that information we can see its stumbling block is its only 2 core . If you now click on the Range(skylake in this case) you can see your cpu against the specs of the others in the same range. Only a subset of these cpu's can be fitted as an upgrade and its probably not worth it anyway. 

The Benchmark for your cpu Single thread 1349 (quite poor) Multi core overall 2610 (reasonable)@ 15 watts so thats a save battery type of CPU  found here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Cor...  To be a good laptop these days your target should be Single Thread 2200 and multi core overall 8000. A typical example being an i5 9300H which is 45 watts found here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Cor...  This gives a very good single thread score of 2390 but an excellent overall of 7919 which is where the real performance is found. As a general rule the wattages determine if its a save battery type of CPU or more of a performance CPU. 

So go get a min 4-core cpu with a benchmark of more than 2000 single thread and 8000 overall, hope that helps. 

Game play is something else and only a 2nd dedicated GPU will really help you there, and the 6100u has an Intel HD 520 integrated GPU(part of the CPU) and therefore shares part of your 4GB or RAM, which reduces your system performance immensely because as I stated above a system needs at least 8GB or Ram these days sharing as little as possible to keep overall System performance up. Something like this one https://www.box.co.uk/FX505GT-BQ008T-ASUS-TUF-Gami...  is about as cheap as you can get a reasonable gaming laptop i5 9300H -Ok  Solid state disk - nice Dedicated GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics 2nd GPU reasonable for a cheap Gaming Laptop especially with its own 4GB VRAM.

• Barry

The problem with all laptops is that they are compromised in performance due to space limitations. For the same money a desktop will perform much better. But if you must have a laptop you will just have to spend a stack of cash. Performance costs money. Upgrading your machine is uneconomical. Shop around for a good laptop with a lot of RAM and a quad core processor.

• Ron75

If it that old and slow then I would say buy a new, faster one, especially if you want to play games on it. You could maybe speed that one up a little but I don't think you could gain enough to justify spending the money to do so.

Ron