Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 2 months ago

I feel like I'm wasting my time at my job, surrounded by a bunch of idiots?

I work full time as a software developer and I feel as though I am surrounded by a bunch of morons. They don't ever do any work, they just chat and post memes in Microsoft Teams all day long (working remotely). My manager doesn't even know what I'm supposed to be working on, so I ended up applying for other jobs and I am considering working two jobs at the same time remotely because my current company is run by idiots who don't even track work progress. Is this legal to work 2 full time jobs at the same time remotely?

I think you are just an idiot like your employees.   Right now, the economy is pretty bad.   Even Tech companies are too afraid to release new products (softwares or mobile app) because the demand is very small.   If you release a product and nobody buys it, the company will lose some money.  

If you still have a job right and you still get paid like before the covid19 lock down, considered yourself lucky.   If you are bored, start learning something new.....

It depends on your employment contract that you agreed to when you were hired.  Many professional jobs clearly state that you are not allowed to take on other work or work as a freelancer or as an employee of another company.  Usually, there are also non-compete clauses that state you cannot work for another company that does the same type of work as your current employer.  

If you want to be a contract worker from home, you have much greater flexibility in not only selecting the companies and projects you work on, but also the terms under which  you agree to take a job.  The down side is that you are responsible for you taxes and billing, and you have no guarantee of steady income.

• John

You need a major change of attitude.  Currently, you are as bad an employee as they are.  It doesn't matter whether that is your natural work state, or whether you picked up bad habits from the others.  Either way, you need to get on the right track.

You evidently feel that your superiors and coworkers are lazy and incompetent.  You, however, admit to goofing-off during work hours as well. You are even considering plans to cheat your employer more.  If you were a conscientious and ambitious employee, you would submit positive (not accusatory) suggestions to your superiors regarding workplace procedures to increase productivity.  Instead, you seem quite content just to collect a paycheck and be another deadwood employee.