Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 months ago

Is it worth buying an air fryer?

I've been interested in buying an air fryer to try it out. I mean, hey, if it's makes frying easier and healthier, I guess it's worth checking out! But of course, maybe I'm just being a sucker for the marketing hype.

Anyone here actually own an air fryer? If so, do you recommend or not recommend getting one?

If you don't have access to a stove, as I know some places only have a cooktop, then yeah, it might be worth it, but frankly, if you do have an oven, just use that. Food comes out the same, you aren't using fat to cook with even if it is just a small amount, and we all know that buying a new 'it' appliance means just another big thing to be shoved into the back of the closet once the novelty wears off. 

YES!!  Air Fryers are worth their weight in GOLD!

• Janet

An air fryer doesn't fry. It circulates how air around all sides of the food, helping to make it crispier. It works best for breaded foods.

I know a few who have one and they love it. But the results are not much different from baking in a convection oven with the food elevated on a rack of some sort.  Even a regular oven gives similar results.

You do have to consider the cost of it. Even more, you have to consider the counte space it takes up ... 

How much do you intend on using it? Can you afford / justify the cost?

I own one,but I don't like the way french fries taste after being fried in the air fryer. It tastes weird 

• User

OK, I did that.

Here's my take...

First, though the temperature is high enough that these act like a fryer in many cases, they are actually OVENS. SO: think, "baking" as well as - or even more than - "frying"

- Get a GOOD model, a highly-rated model. I got the Ninja "deluxe" (or "XL") model and am pretty happy with it (especially for the price). Main complaint: limited to a few fixed temperature settings. Second complaint: won't hold a full two-pound bag of frozen potatoes (fries, tots, whatever). Takes two or three runs to cook the whole bag.

- EXCELLENT for cooking frozen foods that you would normally bake or fry. (NOT good for frozen foods that only have microwave directions.) My fryer makes AWESOME frozen fries, frozen onion rings, tater tots, frozen breaded fish fillets, frozen chicken (of all types, breaded or unbreaded), etc. MUCH better results than the regular oven and MUCH better results than a toaster oven...and FASTER (about half the time).

- PRETTY GOOD for personal-sized frozen pizzas...and again, FAST. Toppings on frozen pizzas usually do NOT fly around, I guess the cheese keeps the toppings together. Do NOT add canned (grated) cheese to frozen pizza until AFTER cooking (see below).

- NOT good for frozen foods that come in a cardboard or foil "pan" or "bowl", even ones that are meant to go in the oven, because usually the air fryer is just too small for these items. No frozen lasagna, for example.

- NOT excellent for many fresh foods, but good for "fresh" foods that are both heavy (see next item) and fatty. Frying spam or bologna, for example. (Get thick-cut bologna, less likely to blow around). More fat ends up in the bottom of the fryer, less in the food. Produces a decent, but not great, hamburger. (Not hot enough, I think. I do a better hamburger in a frying pan...but with the air fryer, no spatter...)

- POWERFUL fan means food in the fryer tends to be blown around if it is light. For example: I tried toasting/heating sandwiches. Even when held together with toothpicks the bread and toppings tend to get blown around. For example: bacon gets blown around (the regular-thickness bacon, anyway. Not sure about the extra-thick bacon). Don't even think about crumbly or dry-ish (i.e. like Shake-n-Bake, not liquid batter) homemade breaded meat. I would expect breading would be blown everywhere. Battered (fully liquid batter) meats would probably do fine (I haven't tried that yet.)

- EASY to clean, but that might be specific to my model.

- TIME for cooking is not the same as with conventional or toaster oven. I look at conventional oven times on the package and cut time in half, leave temp the same as directed, usually is pretty near to perfect results with my fryer, of course that might not hold true for other fryers. In any case, you WILL need to experiment with temperature and time to get perfect results.

Conclusion: if you eat a lot of frozen, meant-to-be-baked or fried food, you should DEFINITELY get one. Frozen potatoes (fries, tots, etc.) especially come out absolutely PERFECT. Frozen breaded fish and frozen chicken of all sorts does likewise.

Foods that will not survive being blown with a powerful fan are NOT good candidates. For example: I wouldn't try my homemade roasted fresh chicken breasts in the fryer because I would expect the herbs-and-spices-in-oil would be blown off the chicken.

Are you cooking for more than 2 people? 

If so most air fryers do not hold a lot of food. 

An air fryer is a convection oven.  Because it is small, usually toaster oven size or the size of a 4 qt Dutch oven, they heat fast and the air circulates fast so the food cooks quickly. 

You can pretty much do the same thing in a regular oven that has a convection setting just place the food on a rack so the air circulates all around the food. And make sure that you have the oven set on convection roast and let it heat up[. 

• Anton

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/englis...

fry -- to cook food in hot oil or fat:

bake -- to cook inside an oven, without using added liquid or fat:

An "Air Fryer" is a LIE.  It is an oven.  It is NOT frying anything.

It is impossible to FRY in air.  You cannot saute onions in air.  You cannot saute mushrooms in air.  Deep fried potatoes are NOT unhealthy when cooked in olive oil.

.

If you believe the crap that fats are evil, you can bake. 

You will miss out with the fabulous food you can have fried.

Life is too short to eat blah food.

• ?

Yes, they're awesome. I've only really made fries and chicken wings in it so far but it works great and tastes great. One of my friends also has one and he's made all sorts of stuff in it and loves it. He's actually the one who got me into it. It's more or less the same as deep frying except healthier, so if you love deep fried stuff you'll want to switch over, in my opinion.

• ?

From what I have seen, ANY tabletop convection oven can be an "air fryer".  It's like buying a "smoothie maker" when you already have a blender.