Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

I got a GED but was told my accomplishment means nothing because I was too stupid to pass HS as a primary option. Can I get a good job still?

I got my GED but I'm told it just looks bad and my accomplishment does not matter. 

Can I ever get a good job with a GED?

I am proud of you for finishing your school and by all accounts that GED course is harder then being some of the regular high school  situation.  With your GED you can get a great job go to college

By the way, I would drop your current friends or march on and show them you can do anything you want if you set your mind to it.

• L

You can be accepted by a Community or Junior College with a GED.....then you can learn a skill to get a better job than just flipping burgers at McDonald's.

No they are the stupid one. You were just not motivated enough. They don't know the difference. 

GED is equal to a high school diploma. They really don't know what they are talking about.

That's kind of harsh.  There are legitimate reasons for people getting a GED instead of a high school diploma.

The important thing is deciding how you want to spend your life.  What kind of work would you enjoy doing? Take a career aptitude test to see where your strengths lie and proceed from there.  Not everybody has to have a college degree to live well.  Plumbers, electricians, etc. know how to charge for their services.

• drip

You can go to a committee college and take two year career program  or a trade course.

You could take classes for transfer and go on to a university.

Most jobs that require a high school diploma will accept a GED instead. 

Depends on what you define as a good job. Chances are you will do work that is physically demanding and will probably cripple you by the end of your career, paying just below the average national salary or work that is easy and pays minimum wage that you will be bored of. 

of course you can.  the key question is -- what sort of work do you like?  what work circumstances and conditions do your like?  And do not use words relating to income or money in your answer.  example: HVAC residential sales can make over 100k a year.  in sales of any kind, producing because you understand people and their motivations is far more important than your schooling.  -- grampa  -- Aside:  plenty of manual trades also offer 60k or higher annual incomes

Of course, and don't let anyone take that away from you!