Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 2 months ago

Is it wrong to steal from a place that is going into the sea?

So I had a dream today but it bring up a good question?

If you was on a boat that had a store and it sink into the sea. But you lived and got on a life boat would it be wrong to take something from said store without paying? If it go down into the sea anyway?

I mean yeah if it was going down into the sea for sure I would grab as much stuff as I could. I could always give it back if the ship ended up not sinking. I would at least share it with the others 

• Toruko

In my area abandoned vessels are

managed by the state.  Who get it

inspected by a USCG Officer and a

ID tag is affixed.  People can acquire

legal title to tagged boat.  By taking it

to a Marina or a private dock having

a street address.  To get the title all

vessels must be insured if over 5 tons

of weight.  My state has +170 awaiting

an application to own.  

Under Maritime law if a ship is abandoned and is sinking you have salvage rights to anything on board. Help yourself but remember to share with any other survivors.

As you do not know for sure that it is going to go down, it would be wrong.  Otherwise, if the sea got a little rough you could say to yourself "I think we're sinking, Best to grab anything of value".

'

Suppose you saw a person floundering way out in the ocean.  Would you say that it would be OK to shoot him as he looks like he is going to drown anyway.?

Robinson Crusoe managed it.

Until they've given up looking and presumptively abandoned it, the stuff still belongs to the owner of the ship or the shopkeeper, and you're only entitled to a piece of it for your work in salvaging the goods.