Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 2 months ago

Is it wrong to steal from a place that is going into the sea?

So I had a dream today but it bring up a good question?

If you was on a boat that had a store and it sink into the sea. But you lived and got on a life boat would it be wrong to take something from said store without paying? If it go down into the sea anyway?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I mean yeah if it was going down into the sea for sure I would grab as much stuff as I could. I could always give it back if the ship ended up not sinking. I would at least share it with the others 

• Toruko
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

In my area abandoned vessels are

managed by the state.  Who get it

inspected by a USCG Officer and a

ID tag is affixed.  People can acquire

legal title to tagged boat.  By taking it

to a Marina or a private dock having

a street address.  To get the title all

vessels must be insured if over 5 tons

of weight.  My state has +170 awaiting

an application to own.  

• 2 months ago

Under Maritime law if a ship is abandoned and is sinking you have salvage rights to anything on board. Help yourself but remember to share with any other survivors.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I mean yeah if it was going down into the sea for sure I would grab as much stuff as I could. I could always give it back if the ship ended up not sinking. I would at least share it with the others 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

As you do not know for sure that it is going to go down, it would be wrong.  Otherwise, if the sea got a little rough you could say to yourself "I think we're sinking, Best to grab anything of value".

'

Suppose you saw a person floundering way out in the ocean.  Would you say that it would be OK to shoot him as he looks like he is going to drown anyway.?

• 2 months ago

Robinson Crusoe managed it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Until they've given up looking and presumptively abandoned it, the stuff still belongs to the owner of the ship or the shopkeeper, and you're only entitled to a piece of it for your work in salvaging the goods.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.