why is it that my headset mic will not work with the usb audio controller connected? p?

my freind also has the same behaviour with his mic  and we have completely different headsets          he has a steelseries  and i have a hyperx,  so why?

the usb has all the functionality to allow the headset to work in 7.1,  without it  the headset only works in mono,  and as well the volume has no HQ  equalizer effect,  it just sounds tinny and in monnaural, but if i plug it in without the audio controller, to a splitter cable and 2 3.5mm jacks  the mic works perfect,  and like i say it's the same behaviour for both of us, and my guess many others too..

so why, and is there anything to change this?

cheers

yes pc..(both)..in case you wasn't sure..

thx all for the fb,   @AJ,   no i prob wasn;t clear,   both headsets   have a USB audio controller,   and neither mic, will work when in this  configuration using the USB..

however when both are plugged direct through a splitter cable,  into   headphones and mic  jack inputs without their respective   usb audio controllers,  then both microphones work perfectly well..

i have figured it out now and no B/A because nobody was close to being correct.....the issue has been a faulty microphone, must of coincidently had it in the required position when i didn't use the usb audio controller, giving me the impression that was the problem

• Lv 7

7.1 what? you realize that headphones are stereo, right? you can simulate surround, but that is not the same as having 7.1 surround.

just set your system sound to stereo, and it will combine the 8 channels into 2. it will be the same as what you are asking...

also, if it does do that over USB, then it probably needs drivers to do it. you should try installing the drivers for your headphone model. you didn't say what model you have, so i cannot guide you further.

• keerok

I'm guessing the USB audio controller is wired differently or the audio controller isn't configured properly. 

When you have the USB audio controller connected, you have two active audio devices at the same time so make sure that mic and audio output is configured to the USB audio controller. 

Some audio devices accept mic and audio out in the same plug (4-ring/pole) while others (usually the costlier ones) require separate plugs.

Download, the proper Drivers!     

this may be in your windows audio settings -- open them and check

I am glad to hear that you have tried a splitter most people dont realise the headset requires one which will prevent damage to the pc. The reason you dont get choices once you use a usb device is that the audio is already then just DATA going into a USB and NOT via the sound device in the pc which accepts the true analoge audio signal and can apply all sorts of adjustments to it before turning it into Digital Data..

You have given me a taste of information, but missing some key information. I see a Steelseries with audio controller and a HyperX without. It would help to have exact models of headsets. Also, I can see the Steelseries audio controller does have its own DAC and Amp for a PC version. Provide your pc information.

PC requires a licensed copy of Windows Operating System.

Did you set it up as Chat Audio?

WINDOWS SOUND SETTINGS

01 Under "Playback" highlight GameDAC Game Audio and select "Set

Default"

02 Under “Playback” select GameDAC Chat Audio and select "Set

Default Communications Device"

03 Under "Recording" highlight GameDAC Chat Audio and select Default