anon asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicJazz · 2 months ago

Solace by Scott Joplin. I need help with these questions for Jazz appreciation class.?

1. How many sections are within this three-plus-minute portion of the piece? Is there an introduction?

2. Do any sections repeat? How would you label them if you used letters to designate each section? Hint: the first section is from 00:09 to 00:47.

3. What is syncopation? Is there syncopation in this piece? How prevalent is syncopation in the melody?

4. Characteristically, rags have a steady "boom-chick, boom-chick" in the left hand, with the bass notes sounding on the beat and chords sounding on the "and" of each beat. Does the left hand play this sort of characteristic figure through Solace, or is it more elaborate than that?

5. Do any portions of the piece have a more distinctive 2/4 "feel" in the left hand than other portions? Provide counter numbers. Hint: The tempo of Solace is quite slow.

I want to be clear about why I am asking. It's not that I am "trying to take a test about a piece I haven't listened to"

I have listened to it a million times and am horrible at anything that involves music. It is a required course for my degree and this is literally the only assignment I'm having issues with.

• Mike

Why do you try to take a test about a piece you haven't listened to?