Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

why is the earth shown to us in the position that it is?

for instance, in space i'd have thought you lose sense of up/down/left/right unless you choose to define for yourself which way up is ( assuming you had a super space suit on that allowed you to float in space ).

if you turn a globe 90degrees to its side , its axial til will remain,  however your viewpoint remains the same unless you too tilted 90 degrees to your side.

you catching on to what I'm saying folks ?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Its purely a matter of convenience. 

The vast bulk of the Earth's population and land masses is in the Northern Hemisphere, so it is a natural follow through to think os the North as Up and the South as down. All this unconscious thinking follows into space. 

• D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

there is NO  RIGHT HAND rule ... the  fact we rotate a certain direction is just  accidental  

we usually just pick a direction in physics  and science sometimes we are wrong    take  CONVENTIONAL CURRENT ...

THAT came about because  the early scientists assumed  positive charges  moved  so  the books on magnetics and the equations for magnetics are all written for  positive charges  moving..

then later  they found that  negative charges were the ones that moved and  a decision had to be made..

since millions of books were printed with the old positive charge equation it was decided to be LESS   confusing to  leave the  positive charge current as a  CONVENTION  for  magnetic work .. instead of changing all the  equations and  reprinting books and having two versions out in the world   

so the fact that the  so called RIGHT hand rule OF THE  ONE  gentlemen  may have been made up to account for the direction that the planets move  BASED ON  NORTHERN HEMISPHERE AS up..    

god  didnt go  oh  let me hold up my right  HAND and see what direction the planets should go

come on..

• 1 month ago

Contrary to other opinions expressed here, it is not entirely arbitrary. It is based on the right hand rule. Right thumb toward North, when you close your hand your fingers will wrap in the direction of the rotation of the planet.

• 1 month ago

Yes, what angle you see the Earth from in space is arbitrary.  Astronomers designated one particular way "north" and they display it that way.  Not that there's any greater reason, just that you have to pick one angle or another.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Rjgmh
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I think we do it to have a point of reference. If you always take one point up then you get an easier understanding of where to look for things.

• 1 month ago

It is shown to us that way because that is the way we expect to see it.  It isn't random.  It is done on purpose.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Australians see the moon and sky generally ,"upside down" to us -- just saying -- but someone had to decide a standard view .

• 1 month ago

Because the richer and more developed powers in the Northern Hemisphere initially determined that they be on top visually, and that Britain, being the location of the Prime Meridian, be in the middle.  Other maps show it differently.  However, since it rotates on an axis, it does make sense for a globe to be spun in the same way.

• 1 month ago

North hasn't always been shown as "up."  I have an antique (17th c) map of Chesapeake Bay where the north-south axis is horizontal.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

That it's actually resting upon the backs of Great A'Tuin and The Elephants Four?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.