Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Person hit my door with me in car and walked away.... left note but got no response...?

I was sitting in my car before work and someone opened their door and the wind caught it and hit my mirror and put a sharp ding in my door. They were in a truck and couldn’t see me inside the car. I left a note letting them know I saw what happened with my number and they never got back to me. I have their plate number.

My question is, is it worth going through insurance when I have no way to prove they damaged my door ? 

Hopefully you took pictures of the damage - as well as their door (if it damaged it as well).

They are liable, and you should make at least some attempt at getting them to pay for the damage.  It would be pretty easy to prove that it was their truck that damaged your car due to the height of the dent, etc.  They may opt to pay you out of pocket and not go through their insurance.

Take it to some shops and get quotes for fixing it - and then approach the owner of the truck (bring some violent friends if necessary) and suggest they pay for it, or give you their insurance information.

I would not make a claim on your insurance - as you would have to pay the deductible, and your premium might go up.  If you can't (or don't want to) deal with the owner, then either just pay for a repair place to fix it, or live with the dent (note - if it is a lease, then you will be liable for getting it fixed either way).

So instead of getting out at the time of the damage you thought it was a better plan to leave a note AFTER they left the scene?  Amazing.  In any event you file with your insurance and your company decides how to proceed.

You don't need to prove who did it when you file a Collision claim.  That's why hit & run is covered under Collision.  If the damage is there, that's proof enough.

The only question you have is whether or not it's worth putting in a claim.  Nobody here can tell you what it will cost to fix a 'sharp ding' in your door, so get a repair estimate done.  If the total cost of repair is more than your Collision deductible, and if it's worth all the added paperwork, file a claim.  If it's not worth your time, pay it out of pocket.

• ?

You would have to use your collision coverage and pay the collision deductible.  Then your insurance would pay to fix it and (try) to go after the culprit for repayment.  If they find the culprit and collect, your deductible will be refunded to you.  

Is it worth it?  That Is your call.

• Barry

I would call my insurer, explain what occurred, and ask their advice. Be sure to tell your insurer that you are NOT making a claim until you have considered their advice.

well that was stupid, you immediately get out and take a video of everything and you see if there are surveillance cameras on stores nearby you ask to see the footage so you can record it on your phone. you should talk to your insurance about it. those people are absolute scum. 

as for your door, you can probably get that removed with paintless dent removal. they will stick a tool inside your window gap thing and push the dent out. it will turn out better than you think. but yes, absolutely, talk to your insurance about it.

you're still stupid for not immediately getting out and taking a video. and seeing if any security cameras nearby caught the event. i would have even called the police hoping for them to arrive before he left in his car. he knows what he did and that's a misdemeanor to damage someone elses car and leave. but you're an absolute chimpanzee for not getting evidence immediately. ALSO, IF THE STORE HE WENT INTO HAS SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS INSIDE, THERE MIGHT BE FOOTAGE OF HIM INSIDE THE STORE. FURTHER CORROBORTAING THE FACT THAT HE WAS THERE. GO OUT AND GET EVIDENCE IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THEY DELETE IT YOU RETARD. YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE ALL OF THIS AS SOON AS IT HAPPENED.

Source(s): NEVER ASSUME THAT PEOPLE LIKE THAT ARE GOOD PEOPLE. THEY ARE NOT. THEY DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU OR YOUR CAR. YOU HAVE TO GET EVIDENCE AND PROTECT YOURSELF AND ALSO PARK FARTHER AWAY BECAUSE SOMETIMES YOU MIGHT NOT EVEN BE IN THE CAR WHEN THOSE THINGS HAPPEN.

Do you have uninsured motorist coverage?

thats up to you if you want to try to get money from it