Micks asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

English teachers which grammar is correct?

1. The care is provided in a hospital setting.

2.The care is provided in hospital setting.

Should I add "a" or no? 

Number one is correct. You must put "a" before hospital in this sentence. Why? It is a countable and singular noun. Example: we are looking to buy "a" new car. 

You use "a" or "an" when referring to a countable singular noun. You use "a" before consonant sounds and "an" before vowel sounds. Example: I am going to eat "an" apple. You would NOT say I am going to eat apple and you would NOT say I am going to eat a apple as both of those sentences are incorrect. 

Ask your teacher to explain when to use "the" if you are confused on "the," which is also an article, such as "an" and "a." Since, you didn't ask, I assume you understand that one. 

Congratulations on learning this language. By the type of question you asked, it is easy to see that you are grasping the language very thoroughly. These little details, such as including "a" go far in sounding like a great speaker of this language. 

You need 'a' in front of hospital.

You would NOT use 'a' if the plural of setting was used.

Add the a.............

Add the a. It is 'in a setting, not 'in setting'. Therefore 'in a hospital setting.'