Do you need a Motorcycle License to Ride an Electric Motorcycle? ?

Ok, i know the Question sounds obvious but, i tried looking online but, it only says you need a LICENSE (as in Drivers License) for any type of Moped, etc.

But I'm honestly curious if a Motorcycle License, is Required for an Electric Motorcycle, since 2 Wheel Electric Motorbikes are Usually Direct Drive (No Transmission/Gearing to Shift through)

16 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

depends on you local laws , they could have a 20 mph speed limit or a motor size , check with your motor registration branch to find out the laws ..

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it is an electric motorcycle capable of highway speeds that you are planning to ride on-road, then you will absolutely need a license.

Check with your local DMV for your state's exact requirements though.

• 2 months ago

When it is a motorcycle, regardless of what kind of motor it has, you must be licensed to ride it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Mopeds top speed is 25MPH so equal to a pedal cycle.  You don't need more than a car license for that.(to prove you know the rules of the road.

If electric GOES ABOVE 25MPH then it is a motorcycle. You would need a motorcycle license for that.  

. (The drive has nothing to do with it. Chain drive, belt drive, shaft drive or other drive type.)

Engine type does not matter.  If you have a diesel powered motorcycle, if you can go above 25MPH you need a Motorcycle License.

Pretty simple to understand.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It's a motorbike. Yes you need one. You'll also need insurance too at least. And tax if you're in Ireland or the UK. You also might be required to have a certificate to prove that your bike is road worthy. Because a bike that is a deathtrap isn't gonna be getting insurance. And will be deemed unsafe to use. So your best bet is to educate yourself on requirements to own a motorbike in your area. Because lacking in gears doesn't make a bike exempt from needing the same requirements. 

• adam
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

does this particular vehicle need insurance and registration? If so you need a license to operate it . 

• F
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In the UK, an electric bike with more than 250W is classed as a motor vehicle and needs tax and insurance, so presumably a moped licence at least.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The hard part for you to figure out  where in the world you are.

Once you have done that, then you can figure out WTF you call an "Electric Motorcycle", and what class of driver's license you need, if any.

But generally, if it can do over 30 mph, it is a motorcycle, and you will need a motorcycle license or endorsement to be legal on the road.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Laws will vary from state to state.  Where I live (if I remember), "motorcycle," "motor-driven cycle" and "motorized bicycle" are defined with respect to "brake horsepower."

So, here, yes, you will need a motorcycle license to ride an electric motorcycle.

• 2 months ago

Where? In the UK you don't but different police say all different things, I knew someone who had an argument with a copper who was incorrectly telling him he needed a licence.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.