?
? asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 2 months ago

do i have any Anglo Saxon in me?

i'm just wondering out of interest really, i'm a man in my 40s of spanish decent born in the uk, my father is from spain and my mother from the isle of man...so based on my ancestry would i have any Anglo saxon lineage?

@Elsie Treize - But Anglo-Saxons and 'Vikings'* shared a common ancestry in the Germanic tribes, so anyone from the Isle of Mann could still have Anglo-Saxon lineage.

*Viking was more a job description than a specific genetic group. Most Vikings were Danes but not all. They could have originated anywhere along the north western European coastline, including the homelands of the Angles and Saxons.

Thanks to the Vikings, you have Anglo-Saxon and everything else you can think of including African. 

You might do but besides potential genetic issues you can't control why would you be bothered?

I was going to say YES, Isle of Mann is British, but then I found this : "So the island was spared the Romans and the Anglo-Saxons. But it was not spared the Vikings. They pillaged the island in the first half of the ninth century and then, as in much of the rest of the British Isles, ......."

So maybe you have no Anglo-Saxon lineage. 

https://greatenglishchurches.co.uk/html/isle_of_ma...    

• Newton

The best way to find out is to take a ancestry test that includes Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA markers

Could be - those Anglo Saxon's went everywhere they could to spread their seed. Why not just get your blood profile?