Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 months ago

My father recently passed away I was promised inheritance for caring for him but have found out his entire estate has been left to my mum...?

I know it may seem selfish to some but the agreement was I care for him and I would get inheritance I've had no life due to level of care he's needed and feel lied to and used in angry does this seen selfish to others

• ?

Laws are not always fair. A will is a legal document which is followed upon one's death. Unless dad put it in writing, one may assume the arrangement he had with you was not true.

If your mom will not share a thing with you, send the probate court a bill for your services and see if that can net you what you were promised. But, don't count on it. 

It is a shame that your mom used you this way and that she refuses to recognize your efforts. I have no idea how you can move forward with a relationship with her without deep resentment and betrayal. But, if you cannot get past it, then perhaps you have "lost" both parents at once.

This sucks!

See if you can get her to admit to it in court.

Any such "promise" that doesn't come with a will isn't enforceable. You should have made sure this was put into writing and not just believed him. 

What you were promised is different than what you will get.  Hopefully mum "will know" that you sacrificed your time to aid him and you will be partially compensated for it.  Inheritance does not mean the entire estate.  That goes to the wife.

You should have made it clearer that you are in Scotland.  Scottish law gives you legal rights that override the will.  You and your siblings are entitled to share 1/3rd of the moveable property so each 1/6th.  It is not illegal to make a will that leaves you nothing but you can enforce your legal rights.  Remember that by so doing you will also grant them to your sibling.  If you received a legacy (even just a pair of your father's shoes) in the will you lost your legal rights.  It is either/or. 

Talk to Mum.  1/6th of his moveable property may be worth less than the cost of contesting the will.  Or your father may not have talked to you but he may have talked to her and they may have decided to handle things differently.  Maybe they decided that the second of them to die would leave everything to you.  A fight would be a short term gain and a long term loss. When Mum dies, there will be a lot more than just 1/6 of moveable property to potentially inherit.  If you upset her, she might gift her house to your sibling today.  If she survives that by 7 years, there will be no house to divide.

Doesn't matter what someone promised you.  The law is the law.

You may have a valid law suit against the estate for you uncompensated labor, but not a share of the estate if you were not named in it.

Bone there was a will though it was made about 3 years ago and although he didn't go into detail he did say I would get an inheritance for looking after him but not a penny I feel it's a slap in face and I've been strung along also being my father I took his word for it naive and lesson learned 

Yes Keith I think I realise I can't prove anything and legally there's nothing I can do but feeling screwed over I feel upset if u can't trust your parents doesn't give u much faith in people in general

Anon I'm in scotland I wouldn't expect him to disinherit my mother just to keep his word and leave me something instead of leaving everythin to mother and there were no witnesses Like i said I took my father at his word stupidly it's shady making an agreement like that without intention of following it through and I don't believe he did as he has another son which the lawyer was supposedly told about while will was being made the lawyer had asked why he wasn't getting anything and my father supposedly said that there was no contact that's why supposedly he was leaving me in his will like I said there were lies told and I was taken for a mug

Pamela you talk about his wishes the point I've tried to make is that I was lied to by my father I was asked to live with them indefeinatly look after him he couldn't do anything for hiself I had no life of my own lost freinds couldn't socialise there would be nights I would be up three or four times seeing to him then up from 630 am when he had his first meds till 10pm I had that 7 days a week for 6 years no resbite no help from family and because of that I was told by him he would include me in will even after will was made he claimed I had been included in it he lied and basicly used me if you think that's OK then says a lot about you

Jimmy c - In Scotland it is not possible for a person to disinherit his or her spouse, civil partner or children entirely. This protection is provided by the concept of legal rights which give the people concerned a share of the deceased's moveable property. Hence, the family home is excluded from the scope of legal rights.25 Aug 2015 money in Scotland is classed as moveable property so legally if I took it to court my mother wouldn't have a leg to stand on and the lawyer who made up the will was the same one who informed me that everything had been left to my mother he should know under Scots law he should have advised my dad that he had to leave me something so legally and morally it was wrong

Source(s): In Scotland it is not possible for a person to disinherit his or her spouse, civil partner or children entirely. This protection is provided by the concept of legal rights which give the people concerned a share of the deceased's moveable property

That’s why you should have ask to see the will. 

If he leaves no will then everything goes to his next of kin, which is his wife. If she died before him then it goes to his children. 

• Tavy

Sorry about that, but it's not a Q for  this site.