Sierra asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

puppy training advice ?

I recently got a pitbull terrier puppy, whats some good potty training advice for the winter or in general. 

take dog outside and sit with him. when he goes to toilet make a fuss of him verbally and say GO TOILET. He will learn it is good to go outside as he is praised and will learn what the command GO TOILET means.  May take a while though.

Alway reward for the good. They will respond better to positive reactions. If bells don't annoy you, put a bell on the door that the dog can reach. Everytime you take it outside, take the dog's paw and hit the bell so it makes a noise. If the dog goes potty inside the house, immediately take the dog outside (make sure you hit the bell). Get the dog used to the idea of going outside and hitting the bell when it needs to go out so it doesn't have an accident inside. REMEMBER: always reward after so they know they have some kind of motivation.

• Maxi

Training any pup is done in exactly the same way and regardless of season.

After waking, after eating/drinking  and after play and lots of times inbetween you take the pup outside and stand silently until the pup toilets and then you say a command word, so you are connecting an action with a command word

There are hundreds if not thousands of sites.  Pit bulls don't train any different from any other breed.  Potty training is using children to use the potty (toilet).  Housebreaking is a separate thing.

You can google 'how to potty train a puppy' & get tons of insight & information from the thousands of sites that come up.  There are many ways to go about potty training a puppy & you need to find the method or way that will work with you & your dog.  Each pup is different so it will be up to you to find the way that works for you & him.

Some pups learn really fast, while it may take months for others.  It also depends on your consistency in training.  There is so much information on this online, in books.  You need to find the way that works for you.

I hate crate training so I advise you not use one.  Use a child's gate to keep pup in a room he cannot destroy.  Use an 'exercise pen for dogs'.

I used to have a Boxer / Lab mix... We got him when he was 4 months old and I don't think we ever had a problem training him.... 

When they are pups, they have to pee more often so once every hour or two, I would head to the door and say "Rocky, you want to go pee?"... and as he got older.. that's the term he associated with having to go pee.. at times when I didn't ask him, he would bark and lead me to the door himself. 

Then again, he caught on pretty quickly... sometimes it takes times and other dogs could be very stubborn and want to go whenever, wherever...  

Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter - apart from the fact yoiu may need to do some snow moving to clear a more open area for the pup to use outside, it's all pretty much the same.   Buying a puppy into the Winter isn't such a great idea however, which is why we tried to time our litters (which were only for our next generation) so our puppies went off to their new homes into the good weather.

Given you are pretty much looking at it being cold outside, just make sure you don't keep your puppy standing around out there!!

In general you must take your puppy outside immediately after every nap, each meal, short periods of playing.  There are no short-cuts with puppy housetraining if you want that done reasonably fast.

Have fun - oh and don't make the mistake of using pee pads.