Bells asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Labrador Retreiver puppies!?

Recently got a male lab puppy, he is 11 weeks as of today.

I've had dogs before but mainly mutts of rather different temperament

Are lab puppies generally difficult as puppies? 

I'm a little concerned over the clingy part, as i've never had my other dogs act extremely clingy as pups.

He doesnt seem to enjoy any "alone play time", has to be around me at all times or he whines....

we left him in a crate for about an hour b/c we had to leave the house and he screamed the whole time and peed/pooped himself....

i'm slowly crate training, a couple of min at a time and increasing the time....

anyone have similar experiences, suggestions on crate training ? 

Hopefully the "clingieness" goes away after a while?

Thanks Maxi...i am feeding inside the crate ... he peed on the bed inside a couple of times...that worries me, none of my other dogs ever used the crate for toilet....as in the crate was open and he went in there right after i took him outside and peed lol (little ****).

Probably need to step up the obedience etc....we have play time at least 3 times a day to where i feel i wear him out...and we do basic commands and such...but i could always do more!

• Maxi

Crate training, make it a den, so cover it clip the door open, nice bed inside, a toy, water and feed it in the crate....so the pup associate the crte as a secure/safe and positive den not a jail it is locked in when you go out.

Labs are a working breed, so get your obedience/lead training/socialisation in daily now while it is still young as once it gets bigger it will be harder to manage, they can be very immature mentally  and that immaturity along with adult size can cause all sorts of problem until the mature as an adult.......... so set the pup up to win, not lose

Add: Take him out more, after eating, after waking, after play and sometimes inbetween, stand silently wait for him to toilet and only then add a commnd work ( such as 'clean') when he is doing te action... all training is about action then add command word ...if he doesn't toilet then play with him outide or take him out 5mins later or take him for a walk as walking/excerise encourages bowel/bladder movement...and say nothing if he 'goes' in the crate just clean up when he is out the way and nutralise the smell  with half white vinegar/water as cleaners have amonia in them and to a dog that smells like another dogs pee so encourages the pup to pee on it again

• Sandy

if it's possible, get another puppy. always try to get 2 of a pet, so they can keep each other company and they won't imprint so deeply on the humans. 

I have never used a crate, so I cannot address that.  What was the puppy's behavior when you picked him from the litter?  I have a rather "clingy" dog compared to my second dog, but he was rather "clingy" from the start while my other dog has always been very independent (but more difficult to train).

.

No dog soils his living space/crate IF he has another choice.  What does the VET say about his health?  Incidentally, the breed is retriever.

It is just the temperament of the dog.  You chose one that was low in the pecking order of the litter & ended up with a very submissive dog.

I am against crate training, especially for this dog.  As you can see it hates the crate.  Crates are nothing but little prison cells for dogs.  Only reason I would use a crate is if there was a serious injury & the dog can't run or jump or play & has to have limited movement.  Like a broken leg or something similar.

You can google 'submissive temperament in dogs' to learn more about it.