Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Is it bad to turn on the A/C in cold weather?

The weather is already cold.

I would suggest not to use AC in winter because running your car Ac during the winter is probably not good. Remember that some AC units won`t work if the weather is below 45 degrees and those which work, their productivity decrease because of the fall in temperature.

If your windows are fogged up, putting it on defrost and flipped the AC on is a good way to quickly dry them out - but past that you would just be cold and getting bad gas mileage.

NO! iF IT GETS cold enough THERE IS A sensor THAT WILL PREVENT IT FROM WORKING IN SUPREME cold! BENZ cars are INTERESTING because they run the FUEL through the ICE COLD FUEL LINE to CHILL the gas to get MORE mpg from it! I have NEVER seen this on ANY other car type. Your car wil NOT let the AC system get damaged by COLDEST weather, it simply will NOT WORK till it gets WARMER!

Absolutely not! In fact, a lot of defrost systems on vehicles will turn on the AC in defrost mode to help clear the windows. I sometimes use the AC along with the heater defroster to clear mine much quicker. I am a retired mechanic after 40 years and have never seen any issue with AC usage in cold weather.

• Kermit

Newer cars do run AC when defrosters are on.  Older cars need to have AC run in winter to keep the seals lubricated and pliable.  and running AC with defrosters will take the moisture out to get rid of fogging.        

• ?

No! Use the a/c in cold weather. It doesn’t blow cold air when the heater is on, but it does act as a dehumidifier and makes demisting much quicker and stops it coming back. I’m amazed at the number of times I ve been in someone’s car and it’s all misting up, and I tell them to turn to a/c on.

First they say “but it’s winter,”then they say “wow! Never knew it could do that!”.

Additionally it keeps the moving parts lubricated which will seize if left stationary for 6 months at a time.

Doesn't hurt the  Car, No. No more than running it continuously in hot weather.

You might get Too Cold, though.

Many cars turn it on with defroster to speed car's warm-up, anyway. If its humid where you live, the AC removes moisture.

• ?

To consolidate, it's not "bad" to use it in cold weather.  Just turn the heat up. Aircon doesn't only cool air, though it does that well, it conditions it by drying and filtering it. The dry air deals with misting and condensation.

Actually some cars initiate the AC when the defroster is turned on so that it blows a dry heat onto the windscreen to help eliminate the moisture that is causing the windscreen to fog up! So no it is not bad to turn the AC on!

No, it's not bad. You need to run it  to keep it;s seals lubricated. Do that a couple of time a month. Also it's a great way to defog the windows since it condenses water out of the air. Turn on the heat to stay warm.