Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Did my car battery die because I barely drive it?

I just tried to start my car and it wouldn’t turn 

Lights would come on for less than a second and then go off again 

The brake is also very stiff and the steering wheel as well

Did my car battery die or is it frozen

There’s like 20 cm of snow on top of the car 

I don't know what you mean by frozen, but it sounds to me like the battery gave up. Especially in cold temperatures, I believe batteries are more prone to giving up if the car's engine isn't running often. My car is an 09 Jetta with diesel engine, I try to drive it once a week at most. Since I don't have a job during this pandemic, and I'm studying online, I don't need to drive anywhere. But you should definitely drive it as often as possible especially in cold temperatures.

But I would suggest you jumpstart the battery to see if it works. Most likely the its just dead.

When a car sits a long time it DRAINS SLOWLY as some current is used o keep the CLOCK and the RADIO STATIONS from losing their presets.! Since you did NOT say the KIND of car this is, I  Cannot be more specific! TRY JUMP STARTING IT with HEAVY DUTY cables, If it DOES START up ,.drive on the highway for ten miles or so to recharge the battery from your alternator! IT takes MORE POWER to start an engine than to keep a RADIO working, and the LIGHTS being SO DIM points directly to a near fully drained BATTERY! You will NOT have POWER BRAKES or STEERING till the engine is working again, as they require the BELT to provide VACUUM and STEERING pump to work! That will fix itself once the engine has started up! HOPEFULLY you have a FACTORY BATTERY and NOT an AUTO ZONE ONE that is pure JUNK! My BENZ battery lasted for seventeen years! Many batteries WILL FREEZE since they have THIN WALLS and many have impure components! GOOD LUCK< and try JUMPING IT first!

Most cars today use a small amount to keep some stuff running.   The lower your battery is run down the harder it is on the battery.   Eventually the battery will give out.   However you can fix a lead acid battery by sticking in a little more acid,  refilling the distilled water in the cells and charging it right. 

• garry

probably the battery is to old and needed replacing , the only last as long as the warranty then die anytime after that , get a new one with a long warranty ..

Yes, if your car battery will be discharged if you barely drive and the car will not start.

A Car Battery does not die, it just gets discharged over time.

Do check the state of the brake and I will suggest you replacing the Engine Oil, Gear oil, and Brake Fluid.

If the red battery charge warning light is on the alternator is likely bad. If there is no red light the battery may just be old so replace it.

If the car isn't driven enough, the battery could become discharged and not start. A jump start and a 1/2 hour ride will charge it or, if you've got a charger, plug it in and charge it. I doubt if you'll need a new battery unless it's really old.

That can do it.

• ?

The brake and steering is always stiff unless the engine is running. Maybe, or the battery is completely bad. Jump start it and see if it happens again, but don't wait too long to start it again.

• ?

Low temperatures will quickly see off a battery that is less than optimal, and yours probably was through inactivity.  It's unlikely to recover, replace it.