Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

I accepted the offer from a university, can I cancel ?

I’m 17 and I got accepted to a university I applied to and didn’t realize accepting it apparently means I’m committing to go there, it’s even asking me to pay 500 dollars now for the deposit, 

i would talk to that school about it

• DON W

What type of university is it?

If it's a legitimate university, you can pull back your application, and not pay the $500 deposit.  They will drop you as an incoming student and that's the end of it.

If you applied to a legitimate university as an Early Decision applicant, you basically did promise to go there (and nowhere else), but if you don't pay them the deposit, there's nothing they can do to make you attend.

If it's one of the for-profit schools, and you signed an agreement, they may give you a rougher time, but when you don't pay the $500, they will eventually drop you.

• MS

You are more committed once you make that deposit - if you give them the deposit, you won't get it back and that's how they keep you committed to attending there.  You are not committed until you make the deposit, UNLESS you applied early decision to a school that requires such a commitment upon acceptance.  In that case, your application and agreement to the terms was considered a contract.