Dlynn asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

How do you cook home made pot roast?

I am in need of a recipe for my home

Green 666 by isotope rays is NOT forgivable; it leads to permanent hell. 666 is given with World Passport with no name on it (grey plastic card). Police 666 people on highways. Food stores and prisoners/insane asylum folks (released by the antichrist) 666 people too. Reject vaccines. Don't go into UFO to be healed by demons. Hide with Orthodox Christians to escape 666; leave all electronics behind so that antichrist's minions can't track you; burn documents as documents are from Satan.

Source(s): According to the Last Prophet (aka incarnated ARCHANGEL URIEL aka saint healer VYACHESLAV KRASHENINNIKOV) if the last descendant rejects mark of the beast, then his/her direct ancestors go to permanent heaven. To reject mark of the beast, one needs to hide within a 10-15 people group without electronics/documents. Documents are from Satan; burn them. Electronics can be used to track you and to show the antichrist (even on old broken unplugged TV set from 1970's using Tesla's ether); forgive me.
  • I love this recipe for pot roast with winter root vegetables. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pot-...  The seasonings are really great. I always use rutabaga, not celery root. It’s not a recipe you have to follow exactly for it to turn out great.

No fail Pot Roast.

Set oven to 325 and use a covered roasting pan.

Brown the beef on all sides in a skillet. This seals in the juices.

Place the beef in the roaster over a bed of one large sliced onion, two cloves of chopped garlic and two bay leaves.

Surround the beef with large pieces of carrots, whole mushrooms, celery, onion wedges and quartered red potatoes to fill the roasting pan. Keep the veggies cut into big pieces so they do not overcook. Salt and pepper.

No need to add water because the veggies will sweat and create the juices. You can douse with a splash of red wine for added flavor.

Place lid on roaster and cook for two hours.

It really is as simple as that. Perfect EVERY time, I promise.

I use chuck roast.  Sometimes I season it and dust with flour and brown, (sometimes I don't brown it first)

Chunk some onions, carrots, some celery and add that to the pot with the meat. 

I mix some beef broth with about 1 cup of horseradish and (this is going to sound real strange..) a can of whole berry cranberry sauce OR a good big handful of fresh or frozen cranberries. Salt, pepper

All this goes into the oven for about 3 hours. (I use a Dutch Oven but a slow cooker would work as would a pressure cooker and your pot roast would be done in about 1 hour)

I thicken the gravy and serve with wide noodles.  The flavor is much like a Sauerbraten

• kswck2

Making pot roast is like making chili. There is really no right way or wrong way of doing it. Pot roast is essentially Braised beef. Meat cooked long and slow in a liquid. Usually done in a Dutch oven or a crockpot. 

For a first timer, I would use a crock pot. Sear the beef in a skillet-brown it all over. Put into a crock pot with about 1/2 cup broth, chopped onions, carrots, celery, etc., cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours. You can then pour out the liquid, defat it and use the rest in a gravy; slowly pour that into a Roux you made with one part butter and one part flour-add broth slowly, stirring constantly till gravy is thickened. Serve with beef, and some buttered noodles. 

I have 2 recipes.

The first one is really simple, I just use a 1/4 of coffee, some kitchen bouquet, and some beef stock. I put all of that in the crock pot and cook it on low all day. Then, I take the roast out and put it in the oven to get Brown while I make a gravy

The second recipe is 1 packet of onion soup mix, a box of beef stock, some potatos, carrots, and quartered mushrooms. Put the potatos and carrots on the bottom of the crock pot, put the roast on top, add your stock and soup mix and cook it without the mushrooms on low all day. I usually add the mushrooms after I get home from work, then a few hours later, take the roast and veggies out and finish them in the oven while i do gravy, same as the other one 

There are very few rules for cooking pot roast. The rules are: Buy beef chuck or shoulder roast, about a pound per person, Season and brown the meat before you cook it, and braise it in liquid at relatively low temperature for a long time, or cook use a pressure cooker. An oven or crockpot pot roast is actually braised - it is cooked in liquid half to 2/3 up the sides of the meat. If using an oven, cook at 275° to 325° degrees until the meat tries to fall apart. In a crock pot you can use a little more liquid, and cook it on high for four hours and low for 6 hours. Again check if the meat is falling apart.

The cooking liquid I like best is a rich beef broth, with about 25% red wine. I use Merlot, and am not picky about the brand. Walmart, Aldi and Trader Joes all sell descent Merlot at or below $3.00 a bottle. I use a beef base to make the broth more hearty. Add onion and three or four large cloves of garlic (smashed or pressed) and bay leaf to the broth. You can add veggies at the half way point, or from the start. Potato, carrot, and celery all add to the flavor. I also add a generous pinch or two of thyme. I sometimes add thick sliced mushrooms. A squeeze of fish sauce or a Tablespoon of tomato paste will add a umami depth to the dish.

I now use a pressure cooker (instant pot), do the browning, then put everything in the pot, cook for 30 minutes, let it release naturally for 10 minutes. Using either method, if the liquid is too thin, thicken it with a slurry of corn starch and water and bring back to a boil stirring madly to avoid making dumplings.

Final note, never add green peas or beans, okra or cabbage/brussels sprouts/cauliflower. It just doesn't work.