Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

What are the best brands for washers and dryers?

I just bought my first house and the only appliances not included are a washer and dryer. I am looking to find a set that is quality made and long lasting. I have unfortunately noticed that the quality of a lot of newer appliances seems to have gone downhill compared to older versions I've had. 

What is your suggestion for a good washer and dryer, and what is your experience with certain brands? I would also like to hear which brands to avoid.

Thank you!

• ?

I always get GE, my mom still has the same GE washer and dryer she had since I was a baby so it is now 23 years old! I have a GE at my house, works great!

• ?

anything not made in China 

• fuzzy

Long lasting and appliance in the same question wow. Electrolux and LG are building some good reputations, Samsung not so much. Among the big names like Whirlpool and such I would only shop Commercial rated, like Maytag heavy duty, though that narrows down your choices as pretty much every thing you see in a local sale ad is going to be Soccer mom rated

I go for the simplest models.  The less bells and whistles the better.  Its the fancy stuff that breaks down.

It's probably worth a library visit to see the May 2020 issue of Consumer Reports, which rates and ranks washing machines.

They haven't done dryers in the last 12 months, so the models they rated are probably not what's in stores. Pay attention to whether there's a gas line for a gas dryer or whether you'll have to go electric. (Gas is cheaper to operate.)

I've had Maytags most of my life and gotten 15 or more years out of them, even in the days when I did nine to twelve loads of wash a week. (Seriously, kids, if you change your mind about wearing it, don't put it in the hamper!) But the house I've just moved into has a Maytag washer that's no more than three years old, and it's the worst washer I've ever had, with both performance issues and basic design flaws, like needing its rubber gasket dried by hand after every load.

We gave serious consideration to drive two days with this washer to swap it out with the washer at the house we were selling, but wouldn't you know, we got an offer before we actually did it.

• CB

20 years ago I bought kenmore washer and dryer and have NEVER had to service them once. Not saying they are still that good but I am happy with what I have. I believe most sears products were whirlpool - but that said at our beach house is a whirlpool dryer that SUCKS and is probably 12 years old.