?
? asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Is hatred of water instinctive with cats? ?

Or at least for most of the cats. They they get used to and like water? 

Not if you teach them early as small kittens.  Oh, and definitely don't do what I do and use a spray bottle for issues.  I don't have to spray them now, of course, they can just look at it and run 😂😂

Yes, it's a behavioral element that the vast majority have in common.

• ?

It's supposed to be yes

There are some breeds that like water.

But most cats have an instinctive dislike of water.  I wouldn't call it hatred, because they can learn to tolerate it.  My cat's mother was an outdoor cat, and made her kittens go out in the rain.  I saw them at first, shaking each paw as they picked it up and put it back down on the wet ground!  They got used to it so they didn't do that anymore.  My cat will go out in the rain a little, all these years later.  But she doesn't really like it.  

I have seen other cats, running for the door to get out, stop on a dime when they realized the ground was wet.  They didn't have my cat's mother!

there are some great answers on here by some of you.

i'd add one more thing to their answers,  one of my cats he goes out around 11pm and comes back around 4am , lord know where he goes to his late night early morning shifts but he comes home and even if its been raining he'll come home absolutely drenched in water.

i have a towel that i use specifically for this, and pat him down and dry him up by rolling it around him and picking the silly bugger up. 

at first he'd kick out and scratch as he didn't like that, now he understands what his big daddy is doing to him lol

big daddy gives him the very best when it comes to food.

i buy fresh duck, beef heart as well as turkey for him.  he also likes to eat lamb kidney which is great as i like to cook that and eat it myself.

he comes home and meows when hes been out in the cold rain,  so i suspect they're not big fans of cold water but warm water may be a different thing.

do i bathe my cat ? no.   cats don't need bathing realy, only once in a blue moon as a special treat.

hes now 9 my cat, and the last time i actually bathed him was when he was around 2 or 3 and that was only to give him the experience of a bathtub.

I think it is not the water but it is the cold water they are afraid of since their body temperature tends to drop faster. So naturally, they would seem like they are always afraid of water.

• F

I’m not sure. My cat seems to like the rain.

Probably not. It is cold water that they dislike. Warm water is something else entirely. Indeed, the Turkish van loves to swim, as do some of the wild cats.

Being desert animals originally is not a factor. I used to have afghans, a desert breed of dog, and they LOVED to go in the water, almost doubling their weight when they got wet. Great fun trying to haul them out.

Domesticated cats?   Yes, it's instinctive.  They were originally desert animals.  They ate insects, lizards, rodents, etc.   They do not swim and fish was not a part of their natural diet. 

Many pet cats are infatuated by water, particularly moving water.  They like faucet drips, little water fountains, like to sit between the shower curtain and the shower liner when someone is in the shower, etc.   They will often play with water with a paw.  But they generally do not want to swim or be all-over wet. 

A lot of cats actually like water, and many bigger cats will swim, either for fun, or because they have to. Housecats got their "love of water" bred out of them, but there are still a lot of domesticated cats that like it. It just kind of evolved out of them. Also, it's one thing to get a cat used to water, and quite another to just throw them in a pool or tub and force them to accept it. 

They don't need it for bathing or cleaning, only for drinking. There are also plenty of dogs that HATE water, as well. My dog doesn't enjoy bath times and hates being squirted with a hose. My cats have never been in water at all, but they will dip their paws in from time to time and shake it off. One of my cats would sit by the tub during a bath and dip his paws, his tail, his whole head one time and didn't freak out. It depends on the cat, but domesticated kitties do not NEED water, only for hydration.