Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

Why arent teens allowed to wear rock band shirts in school?

My daughter got sent to iss(in school suspension) for wearing a pink floyd shirt. The principal said she is not allowed to wear heavy rock back shirts. Pink floyd is not heavy rock and even if she was wearing a heavy rock band shirt like five finger death punch why is it bad? Why is this genre bad? If you listen to the lyrics it speaks truths. She is allowed to wear a bad bunny shirt but cant wear a motley crue shirt(yes I asked about all kinds of artists). I understand that's their guidelines but it makes no sense to me. I understand guns and Rose's is not allowed cause they have a gun in their logo but even the disturbed logo is banned which the old logo just means unity we should all come together not separated by religion. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

• Joe

Because the principal is a jerk and the rules are stupid. Apparently they haven't heard of freedom of speech.  Or he hates Pink Floyd.

Because your daughter's school is a fascist cesspool, that's why.  And the principal is an absolute idiot, in case you needed another that's-why.

You're right, Pink Floyd is not heavy rock.  If you make a hundred lists of the top ten most not-heavy rock bands in all of history, Pink Floyd would be on every one of them.  

And there is no such thing as a 'bad' genre of rock & roll.  I might not like grunge or nu metal, I might not like postmodern progressive jazz fusion, but I don't get to judge which music is good or bad.  And neither does anyone else, including your daughter's self righteous school principal.  He / she / it can pick up a guitar and play a gig in some questionable joint on a Thursday night, and then maybe (just maybe) he / she / it can have some insight into how rock & roll really works. 

Until then, your daughter should be allowed to wear any god dammed shirt she wants to school.

• me

In my school in Europe, it was allowed. Motley crue, GNR, Pink Floyd and Metallica were objectifying women big time, but I don't think it's the reason... Most likely because it is rock/metal whatever.

• ?

old thinking buy head masters , thinks kids will wear every band , i think a band tshirt looks good , and i'm 61 y/o. blame the system .

Some principals are tyrannical. Tyrants cannot be reasoned with. 

• D50

If it's a public school, the administration is asking for a lawsuit. They would be better off forbidding clothing with ANY "message" on it.

Because the school says so. They set the policy, it doesn't have to make sense. If you have a problem with it then you need to take it up with them.

It incites the Teachers to remember their good old days, which brings on depression. So the teachers/administration bans the reminders, or anything else shows life, or FUN!

Really, it is to instill the need to OBEY! COMPLY! for their future dealing with government POWER.

You can if the band is B.L.M.

• because parents complained about a spike in ADHD when they did