An organic, non-toxic alternative to Sterilite storage totes?

I have several shelves full of the clear Sterilite storage totes with lids to store things to keep them safe, clean,and dust-free. I would like to go non-toxic, I hear plastic has toxic chemicals and is bad for the environment. what would be a non-toxic alternative to Sterilite storage totes? thanks

Wooden tools and products from https://handyman.guide/

• ?

The best option is a glass container.

Use what you have until it cannot be used anymore. The only thing worse than buying plastic things when you have good alternatives is throwing away perfectly good plastic things. It creates more garbage and the bins still end up in a landfill anyway. 

Wood or metal, and when you see the price of those you will understand why people use plastic. Ikea has the only metal storage boxes I was able to find. If you don't mind plywood, try Uline. I wouldn't feel too bad about the plastic storage boxes. I started buying them almost 30 years ago, haven't thrown one out yet, I expect they're good for another 30 years, and I don't think they're putting much plastic into the environment while they sit in my house, workshop, and carport.

Plastic bins replaced cardboard boxes, which are more environmentally friendly--but do a much poorer job protecting their contents. They can be chewed through by nearly every animal that tries--mice, dogs, rats, cats, certain lizards--and not only can't protect contents from standing water but not even from high humidity. Lots of important papers and keepsakes are ruined by mold or mildew in their intact cardboard cartons.

If you're adamant about an eco-friendly alternative, go for wood shelves and cotton or linen zip bags sized to fit the shelves. Bottom shelves store things that would not be damaged by flooding, high store paper goods, books, etc. Wrap anything paper in multiple layers of cotton batting to absorb moisture before it reaches the paper, and replace it every year or two.

Or keep the Sterilite you have.

• ?

You already have them, and they are fine for general storage