Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can I sue my uncle for abuse he committed against me as a child (1981-1991)?

It was not sexual but was psychological torture. 

No. You can only sue someone for compensation for "damages". You could sue for medical bills for therapy, for instance. But you can't sue someone for abuse.

YOu gave best answer to somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about, btw

Nope you can't. Even if was sexual that would probably be past the statue of limitations. 

• I'm very sorry to hear this. Its disgusting that family members could do this. To answer your question, it depends which country your in. First and foremost, you should consider reporting the abuse to the authorities. If he is arrested and convicted, in some countries you can make a claim for victim compensation but directly suing him will be difficult without a proven conviction.

• ?

The Statue of Limitations is long gone.  Move on.

scott b is 100% DEAD WRONG.

There may be statute of limitations issues. but you ABSOLUTELY CAN sue for abuse.

• Neil

Maybe. It depends on where ths happened.It may depend on exactly when. It will also depend on the exact nature of the abuse. And success wil require some supporting evidence.

Of course you can so for abuse and you can get tested for ptsd which is permanent brain damage  That's what narcissistic injury does  It's called a toward suit I've talked to attorneys about it before

• ?

Do you have a witness who's willing to tell a court what they know?  Also, you should consult a lawyer, if you can afford one.  

• ?

Have you got proof?