Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can I sue my uncle for abuse he committed against me as a child (1981-1991)?

It was not sexual but was psychological torture. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

No. You can only sue someone for compensation for "damages". You could sue for medical bills for therapy, for instance. But you can't sue someone for abuse.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

YOu gave best answer to somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about, btw

• 2 months ago

Nope you can't. Even if was sexual that would probably be past the statue of limitations. 

• I'm very sorry to hear this. Its disgusting that family members could do this. To answer your question, it depends which country your in. First and foremost, you should consider reporting the abuse to the authorities. If he is arrested and convicted, in some countries you can make a claim for victim compensation but directly suing him will be difficult without a proven conviction.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The Statue of Limitations is long gone.  Move on.

• 2 months ago

scott b is 100% DEAD WRONG.

There may be statute of limitations issues. but you ABSOLUTELY CAN sue for abuse.

• Neil
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Maybe. It depends on where ths happened.It may depend on exactly when. It will also depend on the exact nature of the abuse. And success wil require some supporting evidence.

• 2 months ago

Of course you can so for abuse and you can get tested for ptsd which is permanent brain damage  That's what narcissistic injury does  It's called a toward suit I've talked to attorneys about it before

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Do you have a witness who's willing to tell a court what they know?  Also, you should consult a lawyer, if you can afford one.  

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Have you got proof?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.