Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

What is another term for "outsider"? As far as someone who isn't in a certain field, and wouldn't have the knowledge that an "insider" would?


A thesaurus/ thesaurus website hasn't helped me, because I am looking for a more specific version of the word, but can't think of what that word would be, which is why I asked on here.

4 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    The usual term is "layman". Here's an example sentence:

    The defendant, or in layman’s terms, the person who is accused of the crime, entered the courtroom.

  • RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    There are many possibilities. Two of the most common are detached and excluded.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    A layman..........

  • 2 months ago

    I checked (which is an excellent site for when you need an alternative word) and this is what the site came up with.

    Hopefully one of these will work for you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.