Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Is New Atheism a thing or just something invented by a Yahoo Answers user?

• Jake

A person can battle atheism and other sins using the rosary and fasting.  It is a horrible offense against God to suggest God does not exist.

• Bob

Its a thing, not credible among most atheists.

If someone wants to call me a new atheist, an old atheist, it doesnt matter to me. I am an atheist. These morons on yahoo who use that term can feel free to do so. I am all for calling out the lies they tell, why shouldnt we? They know they cannot produce their god and it makes them mad that we wont just take their lying word for it. Let them go pound sand for all I care.

I'm an old atheist. "New atheism" is ridiculous. Atheism doesn't require any adjectives.

New Atheism was coined by the journalist Gary Wolf in 2006 to describe the positions promoted by some atheists of the twenty-first century. Wiki

Yeah, it's not a thing. It's people like a well-known copy-paste parrot who use that without a sense of anything but triumph in their withered...brains. It's also a way of denigrating atheism and atheists as something sinister and evil, as something that's actively working to destroy the world. Um. Yeah. Sigh.

• ?

It's a fad among American grade-schoolers who are trying to get back at mommy for making them go to church.  Those who pay attention in class and learn the meaning of such concepts as "God" and "exist" soon grow out of it.  Unfortunately, the dimmer ones go through life thinking that if there's no old man sitting on a cloud granting wishes, then they are atheists. 

it would not matter anyway since denial OF GOD is worthless.

Ive got an open ques in yahoo answers area for those who wish to answer it.

2-hunter the coward uses that term all the time. It makes him feel like a big man, almost as big as Trump feels!  Atheism is knowledge that gods are not real.  WTF new vs old is all about, only the cowards who throw the term around know, and it's utter BS.

Yes, it's been a "thing" for the past 15 years or so.  Basically, it's the idea that superstitious religious beliefs should not merely be tolerated, they should be actively criticized and countered in the public arena.

• Mack

People have been atheists before Christianity was a thing....