Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 2 months ago

Free to relocate ANYWHERE in the US, where should I go?

I live in a small town in Oklahoma. My only family tie is a fiancee that lives with me (and totally supports my idea). We both lost our jobs because of Covid, and we're about to lose our rental house, so we decided to sell our things, move into my RV and go somewhere that actually has good jobs. She has experience in nursing homes and I've done mostly warehouse work, but I'm trying to find an actual career. How do we decide where to go?

• drip

Online research. Find cost of parking and hook up for your RV. 

The bigger the population of a town/city the more jobs there will be. 

Since you want education or training for a job, check out the local community colleges. Most will have several training / trade school programs and many two year career programs.   

You can google for jobs. And even apply before leave. 

Think of what climate/ weather you want. West coast is expensive. But Arizona and Nevada has the hot weather and a better cost of living. 

Think of driving / public transportation for the area. 

I live near Chicago. Great public transportation into the city from all around the city into the surrounding suburbs. Great sports , museums, culture, airport, beaches. 

Good luck. 

You should go to Florida, there's many jobs you can do here. Plus it wont be as cold as other places, if you want snow then you should go somewhere else but Florida would be the best place to go.

• Ann

Finding jobs anywhere in the U.S. is pretty dicey right now.  Ordinarily, I would tell you to move to Dallas where jobs are usually plentiful, but things are pretty dismal here at present.  CA is locked down, as is Phoenix, AZ and most of the western states.  You might try the southeast.  FL might have something.  Check on Monster to see where hiring is being done.

I read about a married couple who won some giant lottery prize ----- hundreds of millions, and the first thing they did was purchase a really nice bus to travel around the USA. 

Any metropolitan area with extended suburbs would work. Raleigh NC Triangle is hot and affordable, Atlanta, even mid atlantic but living costs are higher will have many opportunities. Just depends on what you want- hot and humid 4 seasons or dry and hot 2 seasons. Just stay close to growing areas - FL should be FULL of nursing homes that is where all the old New Englanders go to retire. I don't care for it though.....

Can you wear them to work as a man

She lost HER JOB? So her experience in nursing homes was Obviously not being a Nurse - so she worked in the kitchen, or did janitorial? AFAIK nurses are in demand BECAUSE of "C19". So her job importance is way down the pecking order...she has no skills.

. Warehousing is a Career.  What do you think "Amazon" is? (Essentially a warehouse/store.)

So, the U.S. is your oyster. Pick a place that does not have snow, or floods, or tornadoes, or earthquakes, or fires, or lots of social unrest, nor relies on tourism(as that is in the toilet). 

A small town with a stable job.  Maybe you got to strike out on your own.  This is Yahoo Answers. We have opinions. We do not make life choices.  You do that.

. Covid is EVERYWHERE.  Expect to start on the lowest rung of the ladder.  "Last hired is First Fired" 

If you're going to be traveling via RV, you need to first find out if you can park it somewhere while you look for jobs. There are a lot of things to consider here: in a lot of more densely populated places where jobs would be, the cost of living can be either higher or lower than where you are now--and that includes taxes, insurance and other intangible things. You have to also consider the state support systems in those areas.  

It's really hard to give you suggestions. Everyone is going to have reasons you should consider. Have you done any research about living in an RV while looking for permanent lodgings? Have you considered what minimum wages are in other states? Have you considered how you're going to pay for gas and insurance while moving around? Hopefully you have. 

It's probably a good idea to stay away from "trendy" places or University towns--both of those have higher costs of living. If you are interested in warehouse jobs, perhaps you could create a profile for such jobs on a site like Indeed, and see what jobs become available and where they are. 

Other than that--I would simply make sure that wherever you tried to go you could afford the area on a minimum wage job. 

I'd drive until I found a spot I liked, try it, and if it didn't work out I'd keep driving until I found a place you both love.

• n2mama

Consider what is important to you. Is the biggest factor a place that has good jobs, regardless of what those jobs might be, what the cost of living might be, what the weather might be, etc.? If jobs are the main consideration, then consider Austin, Nashville, Denver, Seattle. Cost of living varies hugely among those cities, as does the climate. If you plan to live in an RV for an extended period of time, you probably need to do some research on places you can park for extended time. Often, the big cities do not have RV parks close by, sometimes they can be an hour or more outside the city just to find a lot. That’s a long commute to make on a daily basis, in terms of both time and costs. Also, the climate might impact lot availability. In my area the RV parks with hookups (as opposed to the permanent trailer parks) close down in the winter entirely, so you’d have to find an alternative for housing (and RV storage) for about four months out of the year. You also need to compare what kind of RV park rates you are looking at in your desired area. They can be up to $1500/month in some areas, which is as much or more than rent on a decent apartment.