Is a police accident report public record?

Many years ago, a close friend died in an auto crash. I didn't really know the families but I know the passenger's family did not sue the family of the driver. They just sort of acknowledged that both their kids died and went their separate ways. I always wondered how the crash occurred as it was a short, straight, low speed strip of road near my house. I visited the crash site several times and could not figure out what could have caused the crash and the amount of destruction to the vehicle. There was never a explanation given as far as I know. Would I be able to obtain the 30 year old police report to give myself closure?

If it still exists it would be public record. All documents in government are public record unless specifically classified as affecting security in some way. If an arrest does not lead to a conviction, or a minor becomes an adult, some records can get legally purged. Also, over time, records are lost or destroyed or too difficult to access. A piece of paper among hundreds of thousands can be too much labor to find. They can assess a fee for their service. You can first contact the police and ask what records and procedures to access them would be. 

I offer also a general wisdom in life. Learn from the past, but don't dwell on it. In many cases, the past can only hurt you if you don't let it go.