Hi there Bought a house, title deeds is on me and my wife's name. Can I add another name to it without need of my wife signature/approval?.?

She wants to sell the house that I spent years to restore it to her former glory and ran off with her ski teacher in France, divorce me with three small children and spend the money on her ski teacher.

She keeps intimidate me if I don't sell it she'll take my kids instead, my kids that she has absolutely no love for them at all, but know I love them dearly, such a stupid mistake marry to Asian.

I can't let this happen, it supposed to be for my kids for their future.

well guys I need help.

16 Answers

  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

    Never ask a question like this on a world wide site with lots of teens on it.  You need legal advice asap, and it's kind of scary you haven't gotten it already.  Just as one example, if there's no court order in place, it's not illegal (in the US) for her to take those kids, go to France and then stay there.  Her threat to take them from you is laughable IF you're doing the right things.  You aren't yet.  On the deed, I'm pretty sure you'd have to agree to this, but I'm the attorney could answer that for you. 

    Based on what you said here, I think you should aim for full custody of your kids.  SHE is the one who left the marriage, not you, and this matters. 

  • L
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

    She needs to agree to take her name off of the Deed or you buy her half from her.

  • 3 months ago

    I don't believe....

  • Ann
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    You need a NASTY attorney to help you work this out.  If you have the three children with you and you are living in the house, you can charge her with abandonment of the marriage and her children, adultery (with the ski instructor), and if she's working, file for child support for your children.  Tell her she can sell her half of the house to you, and you will pay her $100 a month in house payments. Of course, the house will be falling apart and everyone will be dead of old age before it is paid off.  Too bad for her. Also tell her you're not selling your half of the house to her just because she wants money, because you and the children are not abandoning your home.  You and the children need a place to live.  Find the most ruthless attorney you can, to go after her.  There's no way she can take your children from you, because she abandoned them.  You are their sole source of love and support.  One of these days the ski instructor will get tired of her, but that's too bad, because you don't want here, either.  Her problem.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

    Generally, if both names are on the title, both names have to be on the sales contract.  If there was a divorce and the property settlement didn't award the house to one or the other of you, then it is joint property that must be settled.

    To know more, you need an attorney who knows YOUR state's laws.

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    You need a divorce attorney. She can't just take the kids nor can she just sell the house. Worst case scenario, you'd have to buy her half out of the house. In all likelihood if she's living in France you'll get primary custody of the children. But you need a lawyer, stat. 

  • 3 months ago

    Both the children and the property are subject to a divorce settlement.  You cannot change this by any action you take now.  If you want the kids you would have to PROVE that they are better off with you.  Changing names on the title, as you suggest, is both futile and not legal

  • 3 months ago

    No additional name could be added to the deed without the approval of both owners. if she threatens to leave and take the children, hire an attorney before she does just that.

  • 3 months ago

    That depends on where you live, which you didn't say.  For example...

    In Canada, if a legal marriage dissolves (one day or 50 years), the house it split 50-50 no matter what.  If one partner wants to keep the house, they have to buy 50% of it from their ex partner.  If the house is sold, each ex partner gets 50%.  Also applies to common-law marriages.

    But if you don't live in Canada, those rules don't apply.  So where do you live?

  • Merry
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    1/. You can not remove someone's name or add someone's name to a property title without the consent and authorisation of all parties and a transfer of ownership

    Anything less would not be legal but ultimately "what now" depends on the laws where you live. 

    2/. YA is not the place to try and find out the answer to such a significant question... Get legal advice. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.