Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My friends boarder collie only jumps and nips at me and my grandson or whoever tries to pick him up if he is crying or just giving a cuddle ?

Update:

Lynk and Alfie play really good together then Lynk will fall over and cry or come over for just a cuddle we pick him up and Alfie tries to nip me or Lynk every time we try to distract Alfie but sometimes it’s hard as Lynk is crying so we can’t always wait until Alfie is distracted....please can someone help us as to why then maybe we can work on how to stop it....thanks

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Owner never bothered to train their dog.  Your friend has neglected the dog by not doing ANY training.  The dog is out of control & never gets corrected for the things it does wrong.  An untrained dog is a pain in the butt & worse.  Ask your friend to put the dog up when you go over.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Thats the herding trait of the  BORDER collie kicking in,,,, Which is exactly why they make great working sheepdogs and poor housepets  also.

Cease interaction with the dog completely until it has been trained not to bite people... Picking up  dogs is the easiest way to get bitten also. Apart from that all herding breeds are equipped with a scissor bite which means that the dogs  lower front teeth pass directly  behind those of the upper jaw which means they are very capable of removing a near perfect disc of skin should they decide to nip correctly ....  which is not  at all good for your childs face should it get correctly nipped  by any herding breed  whatsoever.

A border collie will as readily herd kids as it will stock. Ask my now adult children should you doubt that..... I have owned  trained and worked a great many being a professional shepherd.

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

In that this is NOT YOUR DOG, if you stop interacting with it, the biting will stop.  It is not your fault if it lacks training and will try to bite you (that is the responsibility of the OWNER).  You will not have much luck trying to "train" someone else's dog, under these circumstances.  The dogs do NOT have to play or interact, if one is yours.  You can decide to - keep it at home, or do not VISIT inside the yard with the Border Collie or Border Collies (plural) who have/has not learned - not to bite people.  

If one of these dogs ends up crying, falling over or lying down - it does not sound like safe play for that one.  FYI: dogs DO NOT LIKE to be picked up, OR hugged. This is a good way for someone to get bitten => especially IN THE FACE.  

YOUR responsibility is your grandson, who may become frightened or hurt if bitten hard enough... and if bitten in the face - the child can be scarred for life.  None of this is necessary canine interaction and seems inadvisable and unsafe, for ALL parties.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

When dogs make bad decisions it is because they have not been trained to make good decisions.....and just like with little humans  we as adults make those decisions for them and then train them to make good ones....so whoevers dog it is needs to get it on a lead so it is under control and replicate the issue you are tying to resolve, a quick check on the lead and 'leave it' and instantly the dog responds, they praise.... remembering praise means 'end of task' so the dog may/is very likely to try to stop the interaction almost immediately and the person holding the lead needs to be consistant with the training, check on the lead/leave it so always 'action' ( you want) then command..... with a BC it should take about a week if you are consistant and a lead can then be left trailing, so it is easy to step on the lead at any time to gain control

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.