Kaylen asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Help dealing with bulimia?

(Obviously TW!!! Please avoid reading if you don’t want to hear about eating disorders and self harm) I’m struggling with bulimia and it’s not something my friends or family know about, I’ve never spoken about it with anyone so therapy hasn’t been something that I’ve been able to do since everyone would then find out. But I’m overwhelmed since everyday is either starvation or overeating. The only time I feel happy/comfortable in my own body is when I haven’t eaten and usually when I’m off food my appetite stops completely but sometimes I feel like binge eating despite knowing how sick it makes me feel, it’s like I forget everything when I feel like binging again. The way I feel after binge eating always makes me freak out and I used to try to induce vomiting but it never worked so I turned to self harm to try and block out the way my body felt. I’m really tired of dealing with this so please give me some advice, thank you for any help

Someone’s gotten really upset as to why I posted on here instead of already confronting my family. I know that I should talk to them but I was wondering if there was any advice I could get other than that. I know how my family’s reacted to my sibling’s issues and it wasn’t well so I’m terrified of bringing it up, I’ve never been able to talk about serious issues with people but I understand my need to speak up and I’m trying to work up courage.

Hey Friend. That sounds like an awful condition. If therapy or other forms of psychological intervention are not working, how about getting some more practical advice from your general practitioner or dietary experts? At least your health will be better managed, despite the underlying condition. Good luck to you! x

What you're talking about here is a complicated problem. It's not just a matter of wanting to binge on junk food once in a while. What you're describing is a lot like anorexia. Obviously you should let your talk with your parents about this. 

Usually anorexia and bulimia are symptoms of a deeper problem- loss of control,need for acceptance, lack of self-esteem.  You do need help with this issue or it will destroy you.  But you knew that already or else you would not be asking for help here.  I agree with previous answers, the best way out is to tell your parents and seek professional help.  If you are not ready to tell your parents confide in somebody else, a teacher or school counselor.  Or you could talk to me.  Just opening up to somebody will make it easier to get the help you need.

• Marc

You need professional help. And no, no one will find out as what you discuss with a therapist is confidential. You cannot do this alone. Please get help

• LAN

You obviously don't really want help or you would talk to a professional instead of inventing drama here.

• Rick B

Obviously you need to tell someone about this.  This is something that requires support and accountability.  If you truly want to get out of this cycle, stop hiding it and allow those around you to hold you accountable.  You will, of course, need to get professional help as well.  This will most likely involve a short stay inpatient.

If you really want to get well, you can't keep hiding this DISEASE.  Just like any disease, you need to tell your friends and family and get help.