Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

Is it possible that over time Earth will stop being flat and will morph into a ball?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Jesus wouldn't allow that to happen, because it would be against the Bible.

• 2 months ago

Wait - what if it morphs from a ball into a flat surface?  People near the edge would be pulled toward the center by gravity.  How freaky would that be for Alaskans?

• 2 months ago

The law of gravity makes this inevitable.  

• D g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

dealing with stupid  is so  annoying 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It went from a flat spinning disk of particles to a BALL 4 billion years ago when it formed.

• 2 months ago

I once read about an interesting computer simulation, about the effects of gravity and angular momentum, brought upon to a fluid body that is held together by gravity alone. The simulation starts out with a planetary sized spherical body, held together by its own gravity, with zero angular momentum, or spin, at the start. Then some spin begins to be applied to this body, getting more and more spin with time. As the spinning increases, the body gets flatter and flatter at its poles, and bulgier at its equator, until it is almost like a disk of spinning pizza dough. But then, all of a sudden, as another smidgen of spin is added, the body contorts itself violently, and it undergoes a dramatic conformational change! What does it turn into? A cigar-shaped body, spinning like an airplane propeller! Then as more and more spin continues to be applied, the cigar shape gets stretched out to form more of a dumbell shape, with a narrow isthmus connecting in the middle. Then as even more spin is added, the narrow connection snaps, and the original mass becomes two half-masses, spinning such that they are both gravitationally locked to each other and always keeping one face facing towards the other. And as even more spin is added, these two bodies then just get ever farther and farther apart, with their gravitationally locked spins becoming slower and slower, as their orbits get wider and wider.

Cheers

• 2 months ago

Don't look now - but it's already happened!

• 2 months ago

Earth was never Flat

I could take all day explaining why

But if you can't see it from this picture

I would Lobotomise you my self

Attachment image
    Source(s): Even the Sea is sloping away !!
  • 2 months ago

If an object the volume and mass of the Earth was disc-shaped, it would become roughly spherical in less than an hour.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

SHHH - some people think that already happened! We can't allow that sort of dangerous talk to spread.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.