Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

If Computer Science is supposed to be for Software Engineers, then why doesn't the major include many programming classes?

I feel like people assume Computer Science students are supposed to want to land jobs that involve programming, but less than half of the classes involve programming. What does 3 semesters of Calculus have to do with writing Computer programs?

Why would a  C.S. student need to study integration by parts?

• half of my CS degree was studying faggotry subjects like project management, systems analysis and stuff.

the best subjects were where we got to mess around with A.I and create stuff, i was trying really hard to build a real life assassination robot so that I could take out all my colleagues including the lecturer who was the reason I almost failed the subject.

• VP

Yep, that was my gripe back in the 80's, too. Turns out that when CS as a major first came out, it was borne via the Math departments of various colleges. My 5 minutes of research told me that it was the Math department that made use of early computers because they were basically ONLY computational devices at that stage.  So, if you're a branch of the Math dept. you're going to include a bunch of math classes.  

I think they should come up with a new degree for people heading towards business programming that doesn't require damn near a Math degree!  Save the deep stuff for the Data Miners and the scientific guys -- updating the Gap's mountain of business-related programs doesn't require any Calculus.

If you have the option, go for a Bachelor of Arts in Business with as many computer electives as you can squeeze in.  You'll need business math to do that, but at least you will avoid the higher levels of calculus.  You would find that with that BA in business with computer options, you are still eminently hireable.

• P

Because you are looking to get a Bachelor's degree.  All Bachelor's degrees require the core academic classes to ensure everyone that graduates has a basic level of understanding of the core subject areas deemed essential by your University.    All engineering bachelor degrees will have more science and math requirements.  If you feel like you don't need a Bachelor's degree you can easily just take a bunch of classes for various certifications and only study programming and computer classes. Employers that require a Bachelor's degree are indirectly requiring these classes too.  A lot of it is to weed out those who are not smart enough or don't have the work ethic to complete it.  Employers figure if you can figure out things like calculus then you are probably smart enough to work for them.  

• ?

I don't have too much insight into this. I'm not a programmer nor a computer science student by any means. I was originally going to study CS at a local community college after high school. I quickly realized that it wasn't for me; I much prefer the IT side of things like networks and servers and hands-on work.

Anyways, even though I only took a few CS courses, one of the things I learned is that CS isn't just about programming. You take all of those hard math classes to learn to think critically. That's what helps you in being a good software engineer.

• keerok

So you're in college and hate Calculus. So you think when you graduate, you just sit in front of your computer and churn lines of codes day-in and day-out. What do you think are you going to program for? Calculus, Trigonometry, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Social Sciences, Political Sciences, Humanities - all these subjects don't just make you a college graduate. They also make you a well-rounded person so that when you finally get into the world out there, you will be able correlate and associate everything you learned to what you will be programming on. You don't program just to program. You program a faucet to automatically stop dripping after 20 seconds to save on water. You program an airplane's descent so that people won't hang their tummies in the air during landings. You program an electoral machine fo foolproof the incumbent president has no choice but to accept the results. You use your craft in relation to other fields. That's what college is for. That's how we improve lives.

• EddieJ

It only takes 3 or 4 classes to completely learn programming.

Oh, by "completely learn" I hope you understand that doesn't mean that you'll learn every common programming language.

A first course is an introductory programming course.  A second course is an advanced course in the same language.  The third course might be a 2nd language but also teach about databases.  If you make it that far, it's assumed that you can teach yourself the rest -- as needed.

I taught myself Python after I retired.  It didn't exist when I was in school.

Your question implies that you think that you are smarter than all the universities.  Was that your intention?