Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

Is it morally wrong to walk past those who are homeless?

Okay, so me and my friend met up recently for a day out - lunch and a museum - and had a great time. One thing I felt afterwards though is that on the way to lunch, we walked pared someone who was at the Underground station who was sitting on the floor and holding a sign saying he was homeless. I feel quite bad about it, especially after thinking about it - we walked straight past him and had a great day - as did thousands of others, I suspect, who came out of that tube station. 

I’m from a rural village in the Home Counties, whilst my friend lives in London, so perhaps is more used to seeing these things - it just shocked me. 

My question is then - why do so many people, especially in well-off countries like the UK, see homeless people on the ground and then just walk straight past them? Is it that they genuinely don’t care about them, or is it just the standard thing to do now? 

They are largely on drugs or straight up scamming zxjqkbf

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

No it's not wrong to walk pass a homeless person I mean would it be wrong for a homeless person to walk pass a rich person then??

• ?

My wife and I place every one dollar bill we receive anywhere, into the console of our car, so we will always be able to give a couple of dollars to those beloved children of God who have no choice but to beg on street corners in order to survive.

• Zirp

No. What is wrong is believing that they are all fake, or that there's no way homelessness could ever happen to you yourself.

Not at all if you couldn't afford it, I sometimes can't afford to give money or food to the homeless myself and there is nothing wrong with that.

Absolutely not. There are places to care for them. Most of the so-called homeless we see begging are fakes and bums who collect a fairly decent tax free income from you.

• ?

No offense but you are dumb, in not noticing how the elite treat normal citizens as sub-humans. The Royal family doesn't care about them, why should you right? I think it's nice enough you noticed, maybe spare some change next time around, look out for your fellow men.

There are 66,000 homeless people living in my city and I wonder what it is you expect me to do for every one of them (when I'm already paying extra via both city and county tax hikes to supposedly solve the problem). It's truly not like I can afford to give them all money as I encounter them literally every 10' or so in DTLA. 

• ?

A percentage of homeless people spend the money you donate on drugs, alcohol or gambling. Offer to buy them food and see how many of them become quite surly.

You're better off donating to a charity to assist them or give to one of the programs who supply the homeless with a proper waterproof sleep-out kit. Blankets are pointless as they get wet once and dumped. It has to be the more expensive, but lasting waterproof sleeper.

Other than that, soup kitchens cost money to run and the homeless certainly do need to eat. Donate to one of those and ensure the people in need really are eating a basic but nutritious meal.

Hence no, it's not morally wrong to walk on by past the homeless. Try not to enable their ingrained habitual behaviour. It's important to help them long term.

• drip

You would be better off donating your time and money to a worthy charity that helps the poor. 

Like others have said their are many people pretend to be homeless and beg who do have a home and money.