Anonymous

Rude to refuse phone calls from business contacts who aren't paying you?

I'm an introvert and I loathe talking on the phone.  I'll do almost anything to avoid a phone call.  Phone calls wear me out, and before a call I spend time thinking of how it will go, and after a call, I spend time thinking of how much I screwed up the call.  So a phone call sucks the life out of me.  I prefer email.

At work, I have been doing some favors for a business contact.  He doesn't pay me anything; he sends referrals to me, but the referrals are never helpful.  He always wants phone calls.  I wouldn't mind helping him if it's by email, but working for free, when a phone call is required, is just not something that I'm up for.

Is it rude of me to reject his requests for phone calls?  Is it appropriate for me to tell him that I prefer email?  

I'm about to cut him off and stop helping him due to the requirement for phone calls, but he'd just communicate by email, I could keep helping him.

Thanks.

Why can't you tell him this? It's not weird to dislike phone calls. And what's wrong with texting?

Why not tell him this instead of a bunch or clueless anonymous Yahoos on a internet message board?

Email him and say you have anxiety using the phone and ask him to communicate via email. There. Problem solved. Either he'll respect your wishes, or he'll stop communicating with you. I'll bet he'll be glad to use email.

You're making this way, way more complicated than it needs to be. Are you sure you're not intentionally creating conflict?

It is rude to reject a phone call when phone calls are a very normal and expedient form of communication.  You are absolutely free to inform you contact that you have a psychological issue and are unable to deal with things on the phone, so if he wants  your help, he'll have to communicate via email.  That way he knows what is going on and why, and then he can make a decision about continuing under your restrictions or not.