Jim asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Could You Be Fired if You Recommend Customers to Another Business?

For example's sake, say I work at Best Buy and someone is asking me about televisions and I tell them that they can get much better deals at Target.  Could I lose my job?

• ?

Why would you tell your employer what you have just done is my question to you?

YES, and you SHOULD.

Actually, you CAN be fired without cause in most cases. Actively harming your employer's business is ample cause.

xyzzy: Your answer is WRONG for the reason given by SumDude.

yes Jim, in a heartbeat

Yes, of course you can, and you should expect to be.

• ?

Yes you could and most likely would. But maybe your boss has recently seen "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947) and goes along with Kris Kringle's idea.

• Maxi

Yes................

Yes, you can, and you probably will.

• ?

Better deals? YES ! ... But if you do not carry a product, recommending who does builds customer loyalty and repeat business.

Not only could you lose your job, you should lose your job, as you are being employed to sell in Best Buy, and making a recommendation to a competitor means you are working against the best interests of the company. 

Sure you could

It is called at will employment. To save me a lot of time. Just look it up.