Why does my electric pressure washer motor keep running continuously?

I don't know much about pressure washers, but lately when I've been using my green works 1700 psi pressure washer it was the motor (not sure if that's what it's called) stayed on even after I wasn't pressing the trigger. When it did that I got scared so I just unplugged it from the outlet and plugged it back in. When I gave it another go at the trigger, it was just quiet and didn't work. I unplugged it again and then it started working normally. However, at times when it wasn't even in use the pressure washer's electric motor randomly turns on as if I was holding down the water trigger on the spray gun. 

Does this mean that my pressure washer is breaking? Can anything be done about this?

Thanks in advance!

I am guessing (because I use a HONDA gas unit so the motor always runs. When you are not pulling on the trigger then the water is pumped around using a bypass circuit (kind of like race cars going around an oval  Pulling the trigger is the off ramp and that water will never go back into the machine...as it was used to do its work.  So NORMAL OPERATION?

.  With high pressure, there is the possibility of leak down. Which is why the machine turns on and off...trying to maintain the high pressure.  It can't and won't because you did not buy the machine that cost  $35000.00  Even that one leaks down.(loses pressure) and has to pump itself up.   Look at your PENIS.  It is not continuously hard,  sometimes you have to pump it up or it goes soft.  It is the way as high pressure is always looking for low pressure. Equilibrium.

The day your pressure washer is weaker than your pee stream is the day you get another machine or rebuild this one.

Using CLEAN water is a way to make it last longer.  The brown water has sand in it and that works like SANDPAPER and you can lose all the pressure in under an hour.  Your fault, not the machine.

• CB

Likely you had some air getting to the pump. 

Next time-attach the water hose turn it on and press the spray trigger and let waster run through the system until the air stops spitting out and the water flows constantly (a minute or two at most). Then plug in and use as normal.

• ?

There is a mechanism in the washer which is supposed to detect the back pressure when you release the trigger and cut the motor off.  Either this is faulty or the trigger is.  Try looking up the website for the makers, you should be able to ask them what to do.

When you connect the water and turn it on without the pump running does it widdle out of the nozzle without you pressing the trigger?  That would indicate a problem with the trigger valve.