Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Why can’t I say this?

A guy told me you can’t say “Pretty Good Black Friday deals.” He said it sounds odd and is incorrect.

I heard people say “Pretty good deal” before. So why can’t one say “Pretty Good BLACK FRIDAY deals”? 

For example, “Yeah, I think they had some pretty good Black Friday deals.”

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Your phrase is fine and correct.  The sentence you used it in is also correct.  

• 2 months ago

It's informal- it's not a complete sentence because it doesn't have a verb. Maybe that's why he said that. But people often write in fragments and phrases in reviews. I can tell you that if I'm reading a review, yours would not be helpful. Why are they good B.F. deals? Give some specifics. 

"Pretty good" is also very informal. Don't ever write that in a school essay. 

• 2 months ago

If you want to nitpick, it’s not a sentence. 

You can say it but you can’t use it if you’re writing a masterpiece or something. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can. I can't explain why people I don't know supposedly say things I didn't hear them say. There's nothing ungrammatical about saying that. How you've written it isn't quite right, which is a given seeing as how you've written it three times and never the same way twice, but that's got nothing to do with saying it or how it sounds.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.