Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Why can’t I say this?

A guy told me you can’t say “Pretty Good Black Friday deals.” He said it sounds odd and is incorrect.

I heard people say “Pretty good deal” before. So why can’t one say “Pretty Good BLACK FRIDAY deals”? 

For example, “Yeah, I think they had some pretty good Black Friday deals.”

Your phrase is fine and correct.  The sentence you used it in is also correct.  

It's informal- it's not a complete sentence because it doesn't have a verb. Maybe that's why he said that. But people often write in fragments and phrases in reviews. I can tell you that if I'm reading a review, yours would not be helpful. Why are they good B.F. deals? Give some specifics. 

"Pretty good" is also very informal. Don't ever write that in a school essay. 

If you want to nitpick, it’s not a sentence. 

You can say it but you can’t use it if you’re writing a masterpiece or something. 

You can. I can't explain why people I don't know supposedly say things I didn't hear them say. There's nothing ungrammatical about saying that. How you've written it isn't quite right, which is a given seeing as how you've written it three times and never the same way twice, but that's got nothing to do with saying it or how it sounds.